Moho 14.1 - Brush size variation changing the appareance of the strokes when shape ordering is changed

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pierre Gombaud

Moho 14.1 - Brush size variation changing the appareance of the strokes when shape ordering is changed

Post by Pierre Gombaud »

I noticed that when the brush of a shape has size variation enabled (amplitude and scale)
if one duplicates this shape, then the appareance of the stroke for this copied shape will look different

Furthermore, if the order of the shapes (raise/lower shape) is changed, it will also have an impact on the look of the strokes

Although this behavior isn't extremely annoying, it might confuse the user, who expects the appearance of his design to remain the same for each copy of the shape

What do you guys think?

Below, an ugly screen recording badly compressed to fit in a vile-looking gif:

(also, it is my 100th post on the forum, yay!)
hayasidist

Re: Moho 14.1 - Brush size variation changing the appareance of the strokes when shape ordering is changed

Post by hayasidist »

oh the joys of random numbers??!??

one way out of this could be to have a "random seed" (or starting value for the size variation algorithm) associated with the shape -- clone the shape you get the cloned value; create a new shape you get a new (random) starting value.

But we don't YET have metadata at the shape level (see J297)
slowtiger

Re: Moho 14.1 - Brush size variation changing the appareance of the strokes when shape ordering is changed

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, can you test with different settings of scale compensation on that layer?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't know if this is related, but I was seeing brush scale issues when reselecting certain brushes. It seemed like there was a huge disconnect between the set value in the Style and what appeared in the workspace, like the scale not updating correctly or not updating at all. I had to fiddle with it for a while before the visual stroke size and Style settings got back in sync. Sorry, I don't know exactly what fixed the problem because I hastily tried many random things. I had to move on because I was in the middle of a work project, but made a note to look deeper into this issue later

Lately, it seems like I've been running into various display refresh problems that I hadn't experienced in earlier versions of Moho. I'm not too surprised since we got a new graphics engine for 14. If I can reliably reproduce these cases tonight, I'll post them to JIRA.