Beginner's Mode

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ronbo

Beginner's Mode

Post by Ronbo »

In previous Anime Studio & Moho Debut versions there was a Beginner's Mode button that, when enabled, would greatly simplify the tool options on the left and also use larger icons. This was great for helping kids to get started in Moho.

Moho 14 Debut seems to have eliminated the Beginner's Mode option...or am I missing something? I couldn't find it anywhere in the menu bar or the settings.
Greenlaw

Re: Beginner's Mode

Post by Greenlaw »

In previous versions, the Beginner Mode option appeared in the upper right corner of Debut's window. I believe the option was dropped for Moho Debut 14. In practice, I think the option made the program harder to use (i.e., too limited,) which might be why it was dropped. I don't think the Pro version ever had this option, but I could be wrong about that.

I haven't paid a lot of attention Moho Debut 14, but I know the release removes some past Debut restrictions, and added new features to make the program easier to use for beginners. (Personally, I feel there are a couple more restrictions they should remove.)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

It's great that Moho Debut 14 offers limited versions of meshes, curvers, and smart bones, but it would still be great to have a Beginner's Mode option available for a 9 year old who has never tried animation before. Sure it's more limited, but that actually makes it less intimidating for a young beginner animator with no previous experience to ease into it. And the larger tool icons help also. And once the child feels more comfortable with Moho, the Beginner's Mode can be turned off.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Have you still got your previous version? You can run that one for kids in beginner mode and let the grown-ups play with their own toys.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

Having "taught" many kids over the years, I suggest you give them the pro version and let them explore.* They will teach YOU things you didn't know the software could do. : )

(I recall giving a kid Infini-D to do experiment with 3-D animation 30 years ago at Capital Children's Museum's Animation Lab. We left him alone and came back to find a screen filled with rendered planets and software being pushed to the max. After that, I made a point of letting kids play with new software for me.)

Another way to put this - if you give kids a kids version the result will be a kids result. Give them a pro version** and their quality will be higher.

* this assume the kid is motivated, of course.

** assuming cost isn't an issue
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Sure, I have many previous versions. I'm just saying that it's a shame that Beginner's Mode was discontinued as of version 14, unless of course there is a technical reason for that.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

cgrotke, I get your point. And this particular child is very bright. She's never tried animation before and I recently showed her the basics of the new Procreate Dreams on my iPad and she just jumped right in and started playing with it.

However, I suggested Moho Debut to her parents a couple of years ago and they felt she wouldn't be interested, but now she's asking me to show her how I animate her drawings, so she may be ready. But I don't think the parents would be willing to spring for the pro version, at least not without trying Debut first to see if she even likes it.