How is Victor lassoing multiple shapes?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Allibanos

How is Victor lassoing multiple shapes?

Post by Allibanos »

Can someone please explain how Victor is lassoing these two vector shapes at 27 minutes and 3 seconds of the video (link below) by not lassoing around the entire of both shapes? It looks like a really handy feature and I cannot figure it out.

https://youtu.be/fN0mh7hTr_E?si=dO1ocQiSvtgsSLi7

Thank you
Greenlaw

Re: How is Victor lassoing multiple shapes?

Post by Greenlaw »

He switches to the Select Points tool to make the selection, then switches to the Transform Points tool to continue.

When the Select Points tool is selected, you can use click and drag to make a selection with a marque or press Ctrl to toggle switch to Lasso mode. This Ctrl function can be reversed by enabling Lasso Mode in the Select Points tool's options.

What probably threw you off was him switching tools. He's probably using the hot keys for this: G for Select Points and T for Transform Points.

Bonus Tip: I you press and hold a hot key, Moho will temporarily switch tools. Then, when you release the key, Moho automatically switches back to the previous tool. This tip works well for most tools, but you probably want to avoid it for animating bones because it can be slow.

BTW, you can select points while on Transform Points, too, but only with a Marque, not Lasso. Press Alt to make the selection.

If you're new to Moho, here's another tip: Moho displays shortcut tips about the selected tool. By default, this text is at the bottom of the screen, but you can move it directly under the Tool options (my preference) by enabling an option in Preferences.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

Greenlaw, thank you.

I did see Victor switch from the select points to the transform points tool (pause and rewind is my best friend, right now…and I am slowly learning the hot keys), but I can’t understand how Victor is simply able to lasso around one point from each shape (those points are close together) and it then, when he presses T the red box surrounds both shapes, allowing you to move them as one. How is he doing this? Sorry if I am unable to understand your initial explanation.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

If 1 or more points in a shape are selected, if you press TAB all the point in the shape are also selected. Maybe that's it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I didn't know about Tab to select all connected. Thanks for the tip, Hoptoad! :D

Normally, I click on the curve edge to select all connected points. This method doesn't require prior selection of points, but it does require precise clicking.

@Allibanos, I think Victor is using the Tab key method as Hoptoad suggested, but either one works, so use whichever is easier for you.
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

Hoptoad wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:55 pm If 1 or more points in a shape are selected, if you press TAB all the point in the shape are also selected. Maybe that's it?
Hoptoad, thanks, I didn’t know about the Tab key and that works for me if I select one point on a shape and press it - it then highlights all the points in that shape. I’d still like to know, if possible, how Victor is lassoing one point from each shape in the video and then it highlights all the points on both shapes. Any ideas?
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:16 pm Oh, I didn't know about Tab to select all connected. Thanks for the tip, Hoptoad! :D

Normally, I click on the curve edge to select all connected points. This method doesn't require prior selection of points, but it does require precise clicking.

@Allibanos, I think Victor is using the Tab key method as Hoptoad suggested, but either one works, so use whichever is easier for you.
@greenlaw, this is a helpful tip from Hoptoad, but I still can’t see how he is lassoing two points from two different shapes and managing to quickly highlight all points from both shapes. Using the Tab key I only seem to be able to highlight all the points on one shape only.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Tab selects everything that is connected to your current selection. It works for points and bones and I use it all the time.
By selecting at least one point of one or more shapes, pressing Tab will select all the rest.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:29 pm Tab selects everything that is connected to your current selection. It works for points and bones and I use it all the time.
By selecting at least one point of one or more shapes, pressing Tab will select all the rest.
Ah, the man himself. Brilliant, that worked. Thank you Victor! your tutorials and explanations on YouTube are much appreciated as well, coming from someone who has no prior experience with animation.