Cartoon Animator to Moho -- Step One: 13.5 Debut, more questions!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wsterdan

Re: Cartoon Animator to Moho -- Step One: 13.5 Debut, more questions!

Post by wsterdan »

Okay, it *almost* works for me, it's sooooo close.

I run Rhubarb, I get an excellent .dat file (I assume it's excellent, it's listing frames with mouth shapes for the frames listed, exactly as expected, sample below), I select my "Mouth" switch layer where all the images are named to match the Rhubarb default and select the .dat file, it places keyframe markers above the audio track and then... nothing. The keyframe markers don't change any of the mouth shapes showing in the scene during playback, the mouth stays at the default.

It *looks* like it's working right up until I hit "Play".

The .dat file looks like this:

MohoSwitch1
1 X
2 B
4 A
6 C
12 B
14 C
17 B
24 E
31 C
32 B
39 C
41 D

and so on.

Any suggestions?
wsterdan

Post by wsterdan »

Disregard.

I remembered reading (probably in these forums) that I had to remove the ".png" from the images in the mouth switch layer, so "A" instead of "A.png".

It worked as advertised, thanks very much!
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

SimplSam wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:47 am
wsterdan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:44 pm ... Are there any examples or tutorials showing how the various steps work to get the results working in Moho?
For Moho a 'default' command (-f dat required) will use Hanna Barbera style: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, X notation (the expected Switch Layers in Moho need to be labelled as such).

rhubarb -f dat -o output.txt input.wav

You can also specify --datUsePrestonBlair to output Preston Blair style: AI, E, etc, FV, L, MBP, O, rest, WQ. It is exactly the same timings - just changed notation. Can also specify frame rate using --datFrameRate. And add helper input text using -d. The text option didn't really seem to help me!

rhubarb.exe -f dat --datUsePrestonBlair --datFrameRate 25 -d input.txt -o output.txt input.wav

Once you have the Output file, on the Switch Layer go into Layer Properties > Switch > Select audio sync source > Switch Data File, and the select your output file, then [OK/Apply]. You will have to import the Audio separately if you want to hear/see that.

Hey, I'm still not sure I understand the process of using Rhubarb for auto lip-syncing in Moho.

I've watched the video for using it in spine, but cannot find anything for Moho. I understand the specific labeling system for mouth shapes in Moho and I've downloaded Rhubarb, but have no idea how to proceed.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks!
Jimmy Mills

Some of my Moho Pro work.
My Demo Reel: https://youtu.be/_kSCno4Wd3c?si=gNT7d27R7sM4jjqq
Buddies Ep 4: https://youtu.be/f8Zbzo2mpHA?si=4EyxhBOrgOxkDoSO
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

So... for Moho this is a command line tool, and it has no graphical interface. So you could run it as:

rhubarb -f dat -o output.txt input.wav

where:
1. input.wav is the Source audio
2. output.txt is the Moho dat file

then in Moho - on the Switch Layer open Layer Properties > Switch > Select audio sync source > Switch Data File, and the select your output file (Moho dat file), then [OK/Apply].
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam