My wish for Moho in 2024 – Concentrate on Timeline/Workflow improvements

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: My wish for Moho in 2024 – Concentrate on Timeline/Workflow improvements

Post by Daxel »

I couldn't agree more with the general idea here that Moho needs way too more polishing than new features. I understand new features sell more, but at this point I think it's not worth it, because unpolished features scare newcomers away, and existing users just want all these wonderful existing features to work perfectly.
JoelMayer

Re: My wish for Moho in 2024 – Concentrate on Timeline/Workflow improvements

Post by JoelMayer »

I'm not a big fan of Grease Pencil's Timeline EXCEPT for the summary keyframe channel :D

Also been teaching myself Apple Motion (After Effects user usually) and i really like the slick Apple interface AND it doesn't have dockable windows either but it doesn't annoy me as much as in Moho... But it has great buttons that quickly make different panels appear and disappear so you get everything at a glance. It also has ONE floating window which is context sensitive and just shows you whatever properties there are on a selected object.

I want to think of practical solutions too, that are doable with the UI library they are using and i think there are lots of ways you could clean it up with what's there without having Mike to re-engineer the whole thing for the next 200 years... at least that's my uneducated guess, i'm only a backseat developer. But i THINK having dockable drag and drop Windows seems to be relatively difficult to implement the way Moho works now.

Thinking about the Interface i think i'd sacrifice the 20'000 tools Moho has currently and consolidate them into just one or two tools per category and therefore have a real properties panel that you can open and close at will (like being done in Motion) where you can choose different tool functions. So we no longer have select points, move points, curve points, this and that all in different buttons for which you gotta remember shortcuts. This is how most software does it and it just cleans up things a lot already. Then lose the whole shapes category and consolidate them into the point selection tool, more akin to how regular vector software works. Jus' my 2c of course.

Sure a vertical Properties panel takes space from the viewport but if you could easily close and open it, you could also have all the layer settings at a glance while rigging at all time.

Also Masks HAVE to be independent from being in groups sooner or later hopefully... this would add so much flexibility. I love how Motion does it here too, you just right-click and say you want to add an image mask, it creates one and then you drag and drop the layer you want to use as a mask into the little field. This can also be a shape, video, group (Motion's version of Pre-Comps) or anything really. It's be really cool if you could scale the layers so you get a little thumbnail preview of what's in them so you see your shapes at a glance.

Again, not suggesting Moho should look like Motion, it still has to look like Moho, plus Motion is designed for a different usecase. But whenever i work with anything close to an animation software, i just take some inspiration i guess.

BUT now back to work with Moho 14 :D