How to "abondon" a layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Popa

How to "abondon" a layer?

Post by Popa »

I have a layer (object) in my characters hand. The object reached its destination and now I want it to stay put. Right now it follows my character. I kinda rigged it with bones stuck to my hand. I tried reparanting on my destination but I have no clue how to leave this object in place now, it doesnt work. I'm missing some of the basic funtion of moho I guess.

While I'm here. Is there a way for one specific layer to be stronger than the other without messing up everything else? I dont think I formulated this correctly. I have a layer stuck to my character which needs to be there, but it also needs to overhaul a layer thats above my character. Is it possible for that one layer within my character to overhaul the layer thats above without moving everything else?
slowtiger

Re: How to "abondon" a layer?

Post by slowtiger »

Easiest way to do this: duplicate the layer in question. One stays bound to the rig, the other is free. Switch visibility where needed.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Popa

Post by Popa »

slowtiger wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 pm Easiest way to do this: duplicate the layer in question. One stays bound to the rig, the other is free. Switch visibility where needed.
So the other layer was already in place you mean? I turn visibility off rig and the duplicate layer that was already there "on"? Or i can simply move that layer from outer screen I guess.
This is great when picking up new items as well. Superb tip. Only one problem, so far my expierence with visibility was a horror. I tried turning off and on some of my layers but it had no effect on time line. I was clicking on those eyes next to my layer...

Perhaps you mean a more advanced option where I go to settings of a specific layer and play with visibility there?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Popa wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:48 pm Only one problem, so far my expierence with visibility was a horror. I tried turning off and on some of my layers but it had no effect on time line. I was clicking on those eyes next to my layer...

Perhaps you mean a more advanced option where I go to settings of a specific layer and play with visibility there?
Are you using the visibility in the layer settings, or only the eyes icon in the layer window? The eyes icon is not animateable.
Popa

Post by Popa »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:20 pm
Popa wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:48 pm Only one problem, so far my expierence with visibility was a horror. I tried turning off and on some of my layers but it had no effect on time line. I was clicking on those eyes next to my layer...

Are you using the visibility in the layer settings, or only the eyes icon in the layer window? The eyes icon is not animateable.
I went to settings this time and problem solved! I have a question about time line. I noticed whenever I input an action the process starts at last checkpoint of that element. How do I enable action from that exact time I ordered the input? Somethings tells me I have to change that lineair setting...
Popa

Post by Popa »

Popa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:51 am I have a question about time line. I noticed whenever I input an action the process starts at last checkpoint of that element. How do I enable action from that exact time I ordered the input? Somethings tells me I have to change that lineair setting...
Can someone clear this up asap please? Im about to finish a project and this could enhance my overall work by 20%. There is a deadline thats why I'm in a rush.
I can formulate my question differently if its not clear.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Popa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:43 pm I can formulate my question differently if its not clear.
I don't understand it. Maybe give an example?
Popa

Post by Popa »

Hoptoad wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:18 pm
Popa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:43 pm I can formulate my question differently if its not clear.
I don't understand it. Maybe give an example?
For example I moved my pupils from minute 1:15 to 1:20 (5sec)
However my pupils are not moving from 1:15 but from 30 sec earlier so 0:45 to 1:20, from the last checkpoint I used my pupils.

I must have pressed a wrong button while searching for an answer for one of my previous issues. I dont remember this being the case when I started animating on this project. Its not only the pupils but other objects are interacting the same way now, starting their phase from the last point they have been used instead where I stand now in the timeline.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Popa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:37 pm
However my pupils are not moving from 1:15 but from 30 sec earlier so 0:45 to 1:20, from the last checkpoint I used my pupils.

I must have pressed a wrong button while searching for an answer for one of my previous issues. I dont remember this being the case when I started animating on this project. Its not only the pupils but other objects are interacting the same way now, starting their phase from the last point they have been used instead where I stand now in the timeline.
Oh. That's the way it's supposed to work. In general, Moho always wants to move things. I like to think Moho is trying to be helpful.

To prevent unwanted movement, you need to do something to prevent it.

I usually copy the keyframes from earlier and paste them on the frame before the frame where I want the movement to begin. If the keyframes are identical on 2 different frames, then there will be no movement between the frames. In your example, I would copy the keyframes for the pupils on frame 0:45 and paste them on 1:14. The pupils would then begin moving on 1:15.

Some people use "step interpolation" to prevent movement. I use it sometimes. But mostly I copy/paste.

Some people also use Freeze Pose, as well as Auto-Freeze Keys.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The general concept of keyframes is this: you create a key at the start of a movement (and set an interpolation, if necessary) and a key at the end of a movement. Otherwise Moho couldn't guess from where in time you want the movemen to start.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hoptoad wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:46 pm Some people use "step interpolation" to prevent movement. I use it sometimes. But mostly I copy/paste.

Yeah, I copy/paste keys to create holds too. It's easy to do and obvious in the timeline. I don't normally use Step keys because it's extra work to have to change the interpolation...it's not a huge deal, but I don't like to do anything unnecessary when I'm animating. This isn't to say I never need Step keys; I just don't bother with them for general animation.

I don't usually use Auto-Freeze because that generates a lot of unnecessary keys that can impact performance, and make it difficult to edit the animation on the timeline. I only use this option in special situations and disable it immediately when I'm done.

I do use Ctrl+F (Freeze Pose) a lot, mainly for key poses in the Bones layer. For me, this makes the animation process go more quickly, and it's a good way to prevent the drift problem the OP wants to avoid. Yes, this command also creates unnecessary keys, but not enough to hurt performance, and the trade-off for getting my work done faster is worth it.
Popa

Post by Popa »

Hoptoad wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:46 pm
Popa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:37 pm

Oh. That's the way it's supposed to work. In general, Moho always wants to move things. I like to think Moho is trying to be helpful.

To prevent unwanted movement, you need to do something to prevent it.

I usually copy the keyframes from earlier and paste them on the frame before the frame where I want the movement to begin. If the keyframes are identical on 2 different frames, then there will be no movement between the frames. In your example, I would copy the keyframes for the pupils on frame 0:45 and paste them on 1:14. The pupils would then begin moving on 1:15.

Some people use "step interpolation" to prevent movement. I use it sometimes. But mostly I copy/paste.

The way I solved it sounds more like copypast you mentioned it. I wasnt smart enough to copy the last frame but I put some keyframes that are similar to the last checkpoint. I can only imagine doing the exact keyframe works way better! I kinda solved this problem but you guys showed me even a better way. I love this forum

@Greenlaw, many thanks to you as well in other thread where you explained all the files. So far everything is crystal clear.
Thank you all