How do I remove a switch layer / switch functionality in a layer?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Allibanos

How do I remove a switch layer / switch functionality in a layer?

Post by Allibanos »

How do I do this?

In the Moho tutorials Chad does this in one section but doesn’t explain how he does it. The folder goes from having a small arrow inside it to not having an arrow inside it and I think he uses a hot key to remove the switch layer. I’ve tried right clicking on the layer but there is no ‘Remove switch layer’ option.

TIA 🙏
slowtiger

Re: How do I remove a switch layer / switch functionality in a layer?

Post by slowtiger »

I can't imagine what the goal of that would be. And there's no functionality to do that, anyway.
You can:
- convert a group layer into a switch layer, but not the other way. This makes all layers inside but one invisible.

You could:
- create a new group layer and put the contents of the switch layer into that.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

slowtiger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:09 pm I can't imagine what the goal of that would be. And there's no functionality to do that, anyway.
You can:
- convert a group layer into a switch layer, but not the other way. This makes all layers inside but one invisible.

You could:
- create a new group layer and put the contents of the switch layer into that.
Ok thanks for this.
It’s something that’s demonstrated in the tutorial.
It will take a bit of time to get my head around the switch layers, but it’s a solid feature.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you have a link to the tutorial, with a timecode, we could help better.
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:26 pm If you have a link to the tutorial, with a timecode, we could help better.
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/u8RvnKhNwlM?si=ayAuPyJl5TZ4SBI4

5 minutes, 17 seconds
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...that looked odd, didn't it?

Anyway, he probably didn't remove the switch because the lesson is about switches within switches. (I am assuming this because I watched only this section and a little bit before it.)

What I think happened is that he used undo to reset a few steps and probably stepped back too far because I see that shortly before this section, he converted a regular Group layer to a Switch. In other words, he unintentionally undid the Switch conversion. (Unless he meant to undo everything.)

Additional info: I don't think you can natively remove the Switch functionality for a layer once it's been converted to a Switch from a regular group layer. But there is a third-party scripts that can temporarily disable a switch layer so you can view all the layers at once. I can look this up later if anybody is interested.

Before I got the script, I would temporarily drag all the contents to a regular layer, make my change, and then drag them back. The switch layer retains its keyframes, so if you have animation on it, you shouldn't lose the animation data.
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:39 pm Hmm...that looked odd, didn't it?

Anyway, he probably didn't remove the switch because the lesson is about switches within switches. (I assuming this because I watched only this section and a little bit before it.)

What I think happened is that he used undo to reset a few steps, and probably stepped back too far because I see that shortly before this section, he converted a regular layer to a Swtich. in other words, he unintentionally undid the Switch conversion. (Unless he meant to undo everything.)

Additional info: I don't think you can natively remove the Switch functionality for a layer once it's been converted from a regular. But there is a third-party scripts that can temporarily disable a switch layer so you can view all the layers at once. I can look this up later if anybody is interested.

Before I got the script, I would just temporarily drag all the contents to a regular layer, make my change, and drag them all back. The switch layer retains it's keyframes, so if you had animation on it, you shouldn't lose the animation data.
Yes, I thought it was a little odd and I couldn’t see what he did.

Whilst, no doubt, there will be some user error on my part, there are some sections where Chad is doing something and he doesn’t explain what he has done, which makes things a little tricky. I was just trying to follow the Curvers tutorial (video 11 in the series) and, by the end, what my version of Copper the fox is doing with his tail is not what Chad’s is doing. Still, it will make me go back to the very first video where he starts to demonstrate on Copper and the repetition will help hopefully have me remembering the features and actions to a better degree.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Since he says he's removing the switch functionality from that group and we see the mouse cursor jump, I assume he edited out adding a regular group layer, moving the switch contents into it, and deleting the switch.

That's the only way to remove switch functionality from a group anyway.
Allibanos

Post by Allibanos »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:54 pm Since he says he's removing the switch functionality from that group and we see the mouse cursor jump, I assume he edited out adding a regular group layer, moving the switch contents into it, and deleting the switch.

That's the only way to remove switch functionality from a group anyway.
Ok thanks. With more experience I expect I will understand how to do what you have explained.