Reference layer's original changes

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cherrytomato

Reference layer's original changes

Post by cherrytomato »

This happens to me twice now. I have no clue why this happens. My reference layer's original would change to the other layer. I make multiple layers to reference layers, and looks good. I select "sync all chanels to original, everything looks fine. After I start editing the drawings, and realize the layers' original is no longer link to the right layer. some of them link to nothing.... I was trying to make a arm reference group(create a group->make all the arm reference layers->drag into the group created new), because the arm is behind the body in the front view.
Does anyone have the same issue? Is it a bug?
cherrytomato

Re: Reference layer's original changes

Post by cherrytomato »

Anyone? Is this a bug?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is.
Could be related to this?
viewtopic.php?t=35262
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:39 pm I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is.
viewtopic.php?t=35262
I build my character 3/4 view first, then rotate to the front in smart bone action. The front arm is under the torso in the front view, so I made reference layers of the front arm, and group them in the new group to place it under the torso. When I make the reference layers, I select all the layers to create them at once, instead of making them individually (Not sure that's the reason cause the break). It looks all fine. I have all the layers selected, then right click --> Sync all channels to oringinal. When I was editing each layer's vector points to match the artwork, I realize the wrist color is not correct, and when I locate to the original, it shows "lower arm", and my reference lower arm still has the "reference sign", but can't locate to the original layer. :(
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

cherrytomato wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:04 pm
Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:39 pm I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is.
viewtopic.php?t=35262
I build my character 3/4 view first, then rotate to the front in smart bone action. The front arm is under the torso in the front view, so I made reference layers of the front arm, and group them in the new group to place it under the torso. When I make the reference layers, I select all the layers to create them at once, instead of making them individually (Not sure that's the reason cause the break). It looks all fine. I have all the layers selected, then right click --> Sync all channels to oringinal. When I was editing each layer's vector points to match the artwork, I realize the wrist color is not correct, and when I locate to the original, it shows "lower arm", and my reference lower arm still has the "reference sign", but can't locate to the original layer. :(
The problem I linked there happens when you try to make references of references. For example if you are trying to make a reference of an arm that consists of one original layer and one reference layer. Are you making references of references?

I don't understand this: "I have all the layers selected, then right click --> Sync all channels to oringinal." Following your steps, you just created those references, there is no need to sync all channels to original unless you made changes to the references or for any other reason the channels stoped being referenced.

Also here: "When I was editing each layer's vector points to match the artwork" What were you editing, the originals or the references? In your case, you only want to edit the originals and let the references update themselves.

"I realize the wrist color is not correct, and when I locate to the original, it shows "lower arm", and my reference lower arm still has the "reference sign", but can't locate to the original layer"
I understood you selected a reference and clicked on "locate original" and it worked, but then you say it didn't? I'm kind of confused there, maybe it's the language barrier.
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:33 pm
cherrytomato wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:04 pm

The problem I linked there happens when you try to make references of references. For example if you are trying to make a reference of an arm that consists of one original layer and one reference layer. Are you making references of references?

I don't understand this: "I have all the layers selected, then right click --> Sync all channels to oringinal." Following your steps, you just created those references, there is no need to sync all channels to original unless you made changes to the references or for any other reason the channels stoped being referenced.

Also here: "When I was editing each layer's vector points to match the artwork" What were you editing, the originals or the references? In your case, you only want to edit the originals and let the references update themselves.

"I realize the wrist color is not correct, and when I locate to the original, it shows "lower arm", and my reference lower arm still has the "reference sign", but can't locate to the original layer"
I understood you selected a reference and clicked on "locate original" and it worked, but then you say it didn't? I'm kind of confused there, maybe it's the language barrier.
Sorry for the confusing. I always making reference from the original layers.
  • Following your steps, you just created those references, there is no need to sync all channels to original unless you made changes to the references or for any other reason the channels stoped being referenced.
I watched a video of how to do body rotation. The youtuber did this step, but he also select "Ignored by layer selctor". But since I need to uncheck the visible of the original arm on top, i didn't check "Ignored by layer selctor".
  • I understood you selected a reference and clicked on "locate original" and it worked, but then you say it didn't? I'm kind of confused there, maybe it's the language barrier.
It was working when I first made the reference layers. I don't know where went wrong, the oringals are not correct anymore. :(

I'm wondering if I should make the reference layers one by one, instead of select multiple of them, and create all the reference layers at the one time.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I tested creating multiple references at the same time and it worked correctly here (moho 14.1). I can then locate the originals normally.

Maybe this other video by Mult Rush can help you. It's about the exact thing you are trying to achieve and has an example rig you can examine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNe8W-WKnOM
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:28 pm I tested creating multiple references at the same time and it worked correctly here (moho 14.1). I can then locate the originals normally.

Maybe this other video by Mult Rush can help you. It's about the exact thing you are trying to achieve and has an example rig you can examine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNe8W-WKnOM
Thank you, Daxel. That's the video I learned it from. I'm wondering if it's becaue I have masking groups. My character is lineless, but there's outline when same color crossover.
I just realized, there's reference layers in the groups, maybe that cause the problem? I'm thinking maybe using vitruvian bones are the better sloution in this case?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I don't think masking groups should be a problem but try different things to see if you can isolate the problem. Vitruvian bones are just a different way to swap drawings instead of animating their visibility, but if you want to keep the point animation of those drawings in sync you still need references. If you are not going to animate the points directly but only the bones, duplicates can be enough.
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Daxel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:56 am I don't think masking groups should be a problem but try different things to see if you can isolate the problem. Vitruvian bones are just a different way to swap drawings instead of animating their visibility, but if you want to keep the point animation of those drawings in sync you still need references. If you are not going to animate the points directly but only the bones, duplicates can be enough.
Thanks for the reminder. Vitruvian bones are not the way I can use because of the point animation. I made reference layers again. This time, I make the reference layers one by one. After working on the torso turn rotation from 3/4view to front view. I found the same problem happens again.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

That definitely looks like a bug.

Then the best we can do is to find out the steps to reproduce the bug in the simplest way possible and then open a suport ticket and report it so Moho devs can tackle it sooner than later.

Do you know how to reproduce the bug?

https://www.lostmarble.com/support/
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Daxel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:56 pm That definitely looks like a bug.

Then the best we can do is to find out the steps to reproduce the bug in the simplest way possible and then open a suport ticket and report it so Moho devs can tackle it sooner than later.

Do you know how to reproduce the bug?

https://www.lostmarble.com/support/
Yes, I've done it once. Thank you for your help, Daxel! I've been checking it so often when I work on the reference layers. Once I find out which steps cause the bug, I will report it.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

cherrytomato wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:04 pm
Yes, I've done it once. Thank you for your help, Daxel! I've been checking it so often when I work on the reference layers. Once I find out which steps cause the bug, I will report it.
Thank you. And then it would be nice if you tell us here too, so we can work arround it while it's being fixed.