Rebelle 7 Pro for $29 until Nov. 30

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

exile

Rebelle 7 Pro for $29 until Nov. 30

Post by exile »

Painterly backgrounds or just artwork with simulated real media: Rebelle 7 Pro is on sale for $29, and Rebelle Standard for $19 until Nov. 30. It won't be released until Dec. 14th.
https://www.escapemotions.com/products/rebelle-7

I don't get any commissions, I'm just a user. Rebelle is famous for simulating water colors, but in newer versions does well with oils and pastels. In version 7 there is supposed to be svg support with a feature called paths - I haven't found documentation on it.

Rebelle is straighforward and learnable with fewer tutorials than most digital art software, making it popular with traditional artists who go digital. I have two problems with it:
1) The water color simulation is so lifelike that I have the same difficulties as in real life!
2) The papers affect the way paint is applied, pretty much as with real media. Escape Motions, the makers of Rebelle, are always offering new sets of paper for users. These could multiply the cost of the software if you bought a lot of them. The default ones that come with the program are completely OK, however.

(If you promote Rebelle on social media after your purchase, you can get credit for $25 worth of papers. I decided not to do this since it amounts to spamming friends).
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
Ronbo

Re: Rebelle 7 Pro for $29 until Nov. 30

Post by Ronbo »

Traditional watercolor emulation is something that IMHO Rebelle does better than any other desktop app out there.

I've used Rebelle since version 1 and I have no problems telling friends about it. I've pre-ordered Rebelle 7 Pro and I also posted on FB about it. Yes, I will be getting 6 free papers for doing that, but I would probably have posted anyway because it's such a fantastic deal on a great application developed by good people and I always share good deals with all my artist friends. I do not consider it spamming at all.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Doesn't look much different from the old Painter, which already was great on watercolor. Anyway, I ordered, I can afford it right now.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

As you might guess I am not a user, but I appear to have an old demo/trial for version 4 installed.

One thing I never quite understood is how the notion of 'Papers' works? And why one would need to buy them.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I used Rebelle years ago on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer, and one of its coolest features was how the software was aware of the angle I held the tablet, and Rebelle would dynamically make 'wet' media run and gather in the direction I tilted the tablet...just like it would with real watercolors on a real paper block or sketchbook! (I assumed it used the tablet's built-in accelerometer for that.)

At the time, I thought Rebelle was the most physically realistic 'painting simulator' I'd used, and I still feel that way. But real-world painting behavior isn't a big priority for me in my work, so when I decided to trim down the number of programs I use, Rebelle was one I let go of. But it was sure a lot of fun to play with. :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

SimplSam, the brushes in Rebelle actually interact with the grain of the selected paper. It's not just paint overlaid on top of a paper texture image. In Rebelle 7 they even state that the texture of the paper is ray traced: "Elevate your drawing experience with enhanced realism as Rebelle seamlessly analyzes paper surfaces through raytracing, replicating actual bumps and heights for a more natural feel." Also, some papers have beautiful deckle edges and you can easily change the texture scale and the color of the paper.

This video is from version 5 & 6.

MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

Quality find.

I've been looking for something to help me add a little more texture to Moho and Blender, and this definitely looks like it would do the job.
- Dave

(As Your GM)