Paint Bucket is useless for me. Moho 14.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: Paint Bucket is useless for me. Moho 14.

Post by synthsin75 »

Farren wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:39 am
synthsin75 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:45 am The paint bucket creates new shapes because it can also create shapes out of unconnected vector lines. Since the select shape tool is meant for editing the fills & strokes, the paint bucket assumes you're only using it to create a new shape when used on an existing one.
But why the change in behaviour from previous versions?
Probably because the old paint bucket tool would behave differently under different circumstances, and that can be confusing. It's easier if a tool always works the same way. It also teaches better habits of using the select shape tool to edit fills/strokes.

The paint bucket tool has a long history of being misused by new users. Once upon a time, Moho allowed you to stack shapes on the exact same vectors, and people would stack tons of shapes thinking they were editing the existing shape. This caused horrible aliasing when rendered. The previous paint bucket could still be used by new users thinking they were only editing a shape, but sometimes it would create new vectors. This could lead a new user to think something was wrong, in either the software or how they were using it. So the current paint bucket simplifies all these potential problems for new users.

And older users can always bring the previous version over to v14, if they can't live without it.
Farren

Post by Farren »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:45 am
Probably because the old paint bucket tool would behave differently under different circumstances, and that can be confusing. It's easier if a tool always works the same way. It also teaches better habits of using the select shape tool to edit fills/strokes.

The paint bucket tool has a long history of being misused by new users. Once upon a time, Moho allowed you to stack shapes on the exact same vectors, and people would stack tons of shapes thinking they were editing the existing shape. This caused horrible aliasing when rendered. The previous paint bucket could still be used by new users thinking they were only editing a shape, but sometimes it would create new vectors. This could lead a new user to think something was wrong, in either the software or how they were using it. So the current paint bucket simplifies all these potential problems for new users.

And older users can always bring the previous version over to v14, if they can't live without it.
Aaah, as I've already said. There are a fair few instances where the 'select shape' tool is no bueno for me. Perhaps only 10% of the time, but still. The 'select shape' tool either needs to be better at recognising shapes or the 'paint bucket' needs to work as would be expected by the average user of an art program (I'd argue that this is actually more confusing to new users since the paint bucket use is unintuitive here). Otherwise, perhaps it should be renamed to indicate as such?

Personally, if the 'paint bucket' creates a new vector, I hit 'undo' and fix my shape & try again until it's happy with it. \m/ I've gotten pretty good at identifying offending points at this stage (I've been using Moho since version 9, I'm pretty sure). In these cases, 'select shape' is less likely to work than the 'paint bucket'. So of course I'm going to use the "wrong" tool, because that's what gives me the result I need.

Again, in an ideal world, 'select shape' would just work all of the time - but it does not!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Farren wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:30 am Aaah, as I've already said. There are a fair few instances where the 'select shape' tool is no bueno for me. Perhaps only 10% of the time, but still. The 'select shape' tool either needs to be better at recognising shapes or the 'paint bucket' needs to work as would be expected by the average user of an art program (I'd argue that this is actually more confusing to new users since the paint bucket use is unintuitive here). Otherwise, perhaps it should be renamed to indicate as such?

Personally, if the 'paint bucket' creates a new vector, I hit 'undo' and fix my shape & try again until it's happy with it. \m/ I've gotten pretty good at identifying offending points at this stage (I've been using Moho since version 9, I'm pretty sure). In these cases, 'select shape' is less likely to work than the 'paint bucket'. So of course I'm going to use the "wrong" tool, because that's what gives me the result I need.

Again, in an ideal world, 'select shape' would just work all of the time - but it does not!
Sorry, but why wouldn't the select shape tool work better? I'd have to see an example to understand. The select shape tool is all about recognizing shapes, so I can only guess that you have problems navigating stacked shapes or something. And repeatedly hitting undo until you get the shape you want created doesn't sound very efficient to me.

Actually, I think the current paint bucket does work more like an art program. In most raster art programs, the paint bucket creates it's own stand-alone fill. It doesn't usually alter or merge with the outline it is filling, because that would disrupt the intentional linework. And such paint buckets don't edit a fill. Instead, they replace it entirely.
seanmomo1

Post by seanmomo1 »

Should not be difficult for Moho to create a fill without creating new shape bucket tool technically I figure🤔🤔🤔
Farren

Post by Farren »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:51 am
Sorry, but why wouldn't the select shape tool work better? I'd have to see an example to understand. The select shape tool is all about recognizing shapes, so I can only guess that you have problems navigating stacked shapes or something. And repeatedly hitting undo until you get the shape you want created doesn't sound very efficient to me.

Actually, I think the current paint bucket does work more like an art program. In most raster art programs, the paint bucket creates it's own stand-alone fill. It doesn't usually alter or merge with the outline it is filling, because that would disrupt the intentional linework. And such paint buckets don't edit a fill. Instead, they replace it entirely.
I'm sorry, but either you have misunderstood completely, or are being bizarrely confrontational for the sake of it.

It takes me a mere minute to fix a shape that is stubborn, so it's not really a time efficiency issue for me. :D Not sure what you're envisioning, but it's honestly no big deal.

If any of my art programs created a new shape, obscuring my original lineart, I'd be deeply concerned. We'll have to agree to disagree here since I see we're both going to be stubborn on this one & I didn't come to this forum for a petty argument, I came here for help. uωu
Farren

Post by Farren »

seanmomo1 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:18 am Should not be difficult for Moho to create a fill without creating new shape bucket tool technically I figure🤔🤔🤔
Right?!

If they'd let us have both versions, even if it sat behind a bunch of dialogue boxes where I had to agree that it's unadvisable or whatever. I'd be A OK with that! xD;
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

It used to be trite easier. You draw a free form - choose the tool (P) - fill it in. Auto welding + pouring does not always work correctly

Now - draw the shape - (G) select the points with the mouse or ctrl + a - fill in the shape.
there was 1 click to the filled form
There were 3 clicks
on one form

The number of clicks on a simple task has increased banally - there are a lot of forms - the number of clicks increases even more. In such cases, when the tool starts working differently from the old one to which they are accustomed, it would be nice to add a new tutorial and not think that this is a bug or that I am doing something wrong.
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

Moreover, earlier the fill helped to determine if the shape was made up incorrectly, and moha generated a new shape.
And now there is always a feeling that the form is not correct.
Why it was done is not clear
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

Here it is more clear
https://t.me/Thisisborch/28
Greenlaw

Temporary Paint Bucket Fix for Moho 14

Post by Greenlaw »

For anyone who needs the Moho 13.5.5 Paint Bucket inside Moho 14.1, try dropping this in your Custom Content Folder the usual way...

Old Paint Bucket Hack

This is the Paint Bucket Tool from Moho 13.5.5, edited to load as a separate tool so you can have both versions in Moho 14.1. This version was renamed Paint Bucket X, and the button will appear in the Other section. After pressing Shift+Ctrl+Alt+L to update the Tools window, hover over the second Paint Bucket button and the name should read 'Paint Bucket X'.

Just so you know what was done: I simply ran Find And Replace and replaced the original tool name. I'm not sure if that's all it takes, but I ran some quick tests with this version, and it seems to work correctly. So, if this unofficial 'hack' works for you, great! But I make no guarantees. :D

Note: When the next Moho 14.x is released, you can leave this script in the Custom Content Folder, and it will continue to be available without interfering with new updates to the native 14.x Paint Bucket. If and when a future official version of Paint Bucket addresses your needs, you should remove this mod.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: Temporary Paint Bucket Fix for Moho 14

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I wondered if the above solution helped anyone who asked for the old Paint Bucket behavior.

I don't think there's anything about Moho 14 that should prevent the old Paint Bucket tool from working correctly, but I never thoroughly tested for that. I also don't think the quick & dirty 'Find and Replace' fix broke anything, but I'm curious to hear if it did. I have the second Paint Bucket installed on 14 on my computer, but I haven't had time to test it beyond a few simple things.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:56 pm Hi,

I wondered if the above solution helped anyone who asked for the old Paint Bucket behavior.

I don't think there's anything about Moho 14 that should prevent the old Paint Bucket tool from working correctly, but I never thoroughly tested for that. I also don't think the quick & dirty 'Find and Replace' fix broke anything, but I'm curious to hear if it did. I have the second Paint Bucket installed on 14 on my computer, but I haven't had time to test it beyond a few simple things.
I haven't tested your version. Because on the very first day I pulled this tool out of 13.5 and put it in 14 XD