Character rotation suggestions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cherrytomato

Character rotation suggestions

Post by cherrytomato »

I'm working on my first moho character that going to be used throught out the whole serie. The character will need 180 head turn control, head tilts for front/QF/profile views control, and 180 full turn control. I've been doing some researches on the forum and youtube and read SimplSam's, Daxel's and Greenlaw's replies in the other posts.
I think my steps will be:
  • Make 180 head turn smartbone action
  • Insert the heard turn smartbone into body turn smartbone action
  • head tilts has its own smartbone action
Am I on the right direction? :D
When I work on the head/full turn actions, do I create a new action for each view? (the default view is QF)
FYI, There's a lot of layers in the rig. If I need to move the keyframe on the timeline, is there a way (no script) I can grab all the keys to shift to the right frame? I'm not sure how many frames I should leave between the views, so I might move around the keys.
concavepgons

Re: Character rotation suggestions

Post by concavepgons »

I am currently working on my own rig and still learning as I go but I have a couple of tips from my experience so far:

For Reference Layers:
  • One thing to keep in mind is that delete/renaming actions inside of reference layers can cause all of their animation channels to go out of sync. You can resync them by right clicking the layer and selecting "Sync All Channels to Original" but I want to warn of this since you can only do this one layer at a time...which can be problematic if you have lots of reference layers (selecting multiple layers and picking that option does not do it for all the layers for some reason).
  • If you want to control layer visibility of a Reference Layer, avoid doing it directly. Put it inside a group layer and control the visibility of that instead.
  • ...in other words; avoid modifying Reference Layers in actions.

When animating smart bone actions:

Avoid animating these properties if they are going to animated by other smart bones and/or by the user.
They don't really play nicely when mixed with other Smart Bones or make it really hard (or impossible) for the user to edit when the action is active.
  • Curvature
  • Line Width ( although, I think they made changes to this in Moho 14 to make it more easier to deal with )
  • Layer Order ( use the Reference Layer inside of Group Layer visibility method instead )
  • Layer Transformation ( use Smart Warp or nested Group Layers instead )

Don't rely 100% on smart bones to form your poses all of the time
  • You can use magnet tool to manipulate the points on the rig to make it look correct when animating.

Head Turn Specific Stuff:
  • Use Smart Warp Layers (Quad Meshes) to move and distort facial features for head turns. What's good about them is that they move vector points after Smart Bones move them. So Smart Bone actions for things such as eye-blinks or mouth phonemes won't break apart when you do a head turn for example. Be sure to make the mesh is large enough to fit the features they are going to distort (along with potential future animations that you may do to the facial feature)

There's more things I could list, but these are the things I've been considering at the top of my head. I also made scripts to help me during my rigging process but I don't know where to upload them.
cherrytomato

Re: Character rotation suggestions

Post by cherrytomato »

concavepgons wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:06 pm There's more things I could list, but these are the things I've been considering at the top of my head. I also made scripts to help me during my rigging process but I don't know where to upload them.
:o Thank you for your tips. The style of my workplace is not to use mesh for a lot of things, unless there's image layer needed to.