a cat problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: a cat problem

Post by Greenlaw »

I dunno...I think my rigs can get pretty advanced, but I still prefer to keep all my bones and controls in the top Bone group.

I remember trying nested bone groups for a character years ago, but it got to be too much trouble animating bones in two different places. That might have been before Timeline Visibility was introduced, but I still don't bother with it because it's just easier to have everything visible in one place. Also, the rigs I create at work are typically shared with other animators, so keeping the setups simple and straightforward is always better.

BTW, Vitruvian Bones is another good way to switch out rigs and art. I don't use this feature for switching Head setups, but it might work well if the setups aren't too complicated. And, it also keeps everything in the same single bone layer.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

rocky53204 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:35 pm A somewhat improved version? ...
Neat! Will try to check it out this afternoon! :D
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:51 pm I dunno...I think my rigs can get pretty advanced, but I still prefer to keep all my bones and controls in the top Bone group.
I was afraid somebody would take issue with the word "advanced," that's why I put it in quotation marks.

Dude. Quotation marks are understood by all "advanced" readers to be a grammatical force field: they prevent a reader from interpreting a protected word in a way that offends them.

:D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Simplest solution, as I described earlier: https://www.mediafire.com/file/smicfrdj ... .moho/file
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

Synthsin: I had no idea MediaFire was still alive!
Stopped using it years ago as there seemed to be virus transmission problems.

You were able to do exactly what I wanted.
I must have missed something in your description of the procedure as I tried three times before I gave up!
I will review your description and maybe find I misinterpreted something.

Thanks to one and all for your gracious assistance in something that had me greatly puzzled!

Regards, Rocky