Outlines that appear broken in the mask

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

opeth

Outlines that appear broken in the mask

Post by opeth »

I just bought Moho version 14 and the new features are really worth it. First of all, thank you very much for keeping Moho going. The first thing I noticed when I switched to the new version is that the outlines of the characters we designed in moho 13.5 seem to be problematic in the mask. But when we render, this problem goes away. The problem appears while working on the drawing. Also all characters are designed in moho 13.5

im using MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.

*The problem only appears in the workspace. Even if there is no mask object in a drawing with a mask, the edges appear broken and when you zoom out, there are more breaks. There is no such problem when rendered.

WORKSPACE

RENDER
Last edited by opeth on Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
opeth

Re: Outlines that appear broken in the mask

Post by opeth »

WORKSPACE - Macbook Pro 16.2 M1 MAX

ZOOMOUT - When you zoom out in the workspace, the lines / drawings in the mask appear

opeth

Post by opeth »

The problem seems to be the mask. If I mask the drawing it looks like this in the workspace

if I cancel Mask in the workspace

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

This is an unfortunate current performance optimisation feature. a.k.a "The Jaggies".
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
opeth

Post by opeth »

SimplSam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:50 am This is an unfortunate current performance optimisation feature. a.k.a "The Jaggies".
Thanks for your answer .previously, the characters we drew on Moho 13 version had problems on 13.5. Now the characters we drew on 13.5 are causing problems on version 14. We always do all of our drawings on Moho, but it is very sad that we experience this event in every version.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I think this problem is not related to opening moho files on different moho versions, but like Simplsam said it looks more like an optimizacion technique to simplify rendering masks on the workspace. You can learn more about that and some possible workarounds here: viewtopic.php?p=213562&hilit=jagged#p213562

Like I said in that other topic, I'm optimistic this will be improved in a later patch because I think it doesn't actually need to display so bad to be equally performant in the vast majority of cases.
opeth

Post by opeth »

Daxel wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:11 pm I think this problem is not related to opening moho files on different moho versions, but like Simplsam said it looks more like an optimizacion technique to simplify rendering masks on the workspace. You can learn more about that and some possible workarounds here: viewtopic.php?p=213562&hilit=jagged#p213562

Like I said in that other topic, I'm optimistic this will be improved in a later patch because I think it doesn't actually need to display so bad to be equally performant in the vast majority of cases.
I looked at the link you sent, it's exactly the same problem. It seems very annoying to see the character look like that. How can I work with such a bad looking character? As you said, it's a problem that can be solved in the next version.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The edge segmentation is a display preview error and it's normal for Moho 14, (for now anyway,) Because this affects only the display preview, I wouldn't worry about it. If the test render looks good with Ctrl-R, that's all that really matters.

Overall, Moho 14's masking display representation is more accurate than in previous versions of Moho. For me, this is much better than looking at the eyeballs floating outside of the head in Moho 13.5.5 and earlier. :D

With the introduction of the new preview engine in Moho 14, many display issues have gone away, but because this is a brand-new system, some new issues have popped up. Hopefully, they'll be addressed, but for the most part, Moho 14's display preview is running more accurately and faster than before. As long as the final images render fine, it shouldn't be an issue.
opeth

Post by opeth »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:17 pm The edge segmentation is a display preview error and it's normal for Moho 14, (for now anyway,) Because this affects only the display preview, I wouldn't worry about it. If the test render looks good with Ctrl-R, that's all that really matters.

Overall, Moho 14's masking display representation is more accurate than in previous versions of Moho. For me, this is much better than looking at the eyeballs floating outside of the head in Moho 13.5.5 and earlier. :D

With the introduction of the new preview engine in Moho 14, many display issues have gone away, but because this is a brand-new system, some new issues have popped up. Hopefully, they'll be addressed, but for the most part, Moho 14's display preview is running more accurately and faster than before. As long as the final images render fine, it shouldn't be an issue.
I agree with what you said Greenlaw, thank you for the information you gave. Moho 14 has some really nice upgrades and we will continue to support Moho with each new release. It's just that these broken lines on the characters are not pleasing to my eyes while working.