Smart Warp does not warp point bound vector layers

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

concavepgons

Smart Warp does not warp point bound vector layers

Post by concavepgons »

After solving the problem from this thread, I have stumbled upon a different issue. Apparently Smart Warp cannot warp vectors layers with point binding to bones in Moho 14. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it's very different to how it worked in version 12 where they did move them ( and I don't know about how its like in version 13 ). I reported this Lost Marble just in case because for my use case it's pretty undesirable (there is a workaround using Layer Binding but that prevents the use of bones to control the individual points on a Smart Warp or Vector Layer).

Here is the file to demonstrate this issue (you need to open it in different version of Moho to see the issue):
https://www.udrop.com/KVSF/smart-warp-t ... oho12.moho
Daxel

Re: Smart Warp does not warp point bound vector layers

Post by Daxel »

I can reproduce it on Moho 14. I encountered this while testing the new curvers and thought it was a limitation of the curvers only, but no.

In Moho 13.5 this doesn't happen, you can point bind and have the meshes control that point at the same time.

Just to understand how this is a problem, because right now I can't think of an obvious use case, what is your use case for point binding and mesh control at the same time?

I checked your file and saw it has the same problem that I think would always arise when using these two things together, even when they work together like in M12 or M13.5: when you move the bone, your vector drawing moves but the mesh stays, and moving the drawing out of the mesh breaks the drawing. If you try to bind the mesh to the same bone so both move together, it still doesn't work that way because the drawing is being moved by both at the same time, resulting in twice as movement as you wanted and again the drawing getting out of the mesh.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I literally came across this the other day - and assumed that 'it never worked'

In my case - I have some content primarily controlled by bones (point binded and not), but then I also wanted to do a quick and dirty Quad Mesh perspective transform of the content meshes.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
gfxdug

Post by gfxdug »

I just came here looking for the fix for this issue as well.
In my case, I am trying to animate a waving flag in the wind. Not sure if this is the best solution for this (I'm new to Moho), but the mesh layer is moving the way I want it to at least.

I'm in Moho 14.

My file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/167GV_D ... sp=sharing
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

gfxdug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm I just came here looking for the fix for this issue as well..
So in you case:
1) You don't need to use Point-Binding (so you should unbind the points)
2) You don't even need the Smart-warp Mesh. The flag will deform with just the bones
3) You need more points on the flag for it to deform smoothly (You can use "Split" on the Select Points tool)

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:22 am In my case - I have some content primarily controlled by bones (point binded and not), but then I also wanted to do a quick and dirty Quad Mesh perspective transform of the content meshes.
I'm not totally sure I get it. Have you tried to do it with moho 13.5 (where point binding is compatible with mesh control) to see if the result is what you were looking for?

gfxdug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm
In my case, I am trying to animate a waving flag in the wind. Not sure if this is the best solution for this (I'm new to Moho), but the mesh layer is moving the way I want it to at least.
I checked your file and you don't need the point binding in the flag layer. This is because those points are already controlled by the mesh, and the mesh is point binded to the bones so its controlled by the bones. So the bones will move the mesh that will move the flag, and you don't need to bind the flag to the bones. So if you take the bind points tool, select the points of the flag and click on unbind points, your rig will work fine.

You will see that the movement of the flag is very rigid. This is because the flag has too few points. Add some more, and they will move with the mesh too. The stick movement is also limited by the few points it has. Bones and meshes only move points, they don't move lines, you you need to have the right amount of points for the movement you expect.
gfxdug

Post by gfxdug »

Thanks SimplSam & Daxel, really appreciate the help!
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Here is a simple example showing the difference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mk-o3V ... sp=sharing

Sam