Duplicated a fully animated layer. Is there a way to offset it?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Duplicated a fully animated layer. Is there a way to offset it?

Post by NealF »

Hi.
I've got a character with an animated walk cycle. I'd like to make about 10 duplicates and just offset them to form a line of walking people.
But if I duplicate it and move the new layer to a new location and change the size, the duplicate starts moving back to the original size and place as soon as it gets to the next key frame.

Other than changing every keyframe one by one, is there a way to just offset the new layers and have it apply to the whole cycle?
Thanks.
hayasidist

Re: Duplicated a fully animated layer. Is there a way to offset it?

Post by hayasidist »

how about:
put your character in a group layer.
duplicate the group as often as you want
move each group.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Aha!
Sounds like it'll work. I'll give it a try later today. Thanks.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

NealF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:23 pm Hi.
I've got a character with an animated walk cycle. I'd like to make about 10 duplicates and just offset them to form a line of walking people.
But if I duplicate it and move the new layer to a new location and change the size, the duplicate starts moving back to the original size and place as soon as it gets to the next key frame.

Other than changing every keyframe one by one, is there a way to just offset the new layers and have it apply to the whole cycle?
Thanks.
It sounds like you have keyframes for layer scale and layer translation further down the timeline, and they are getting duplicated. I would look for those keyframes and delete them.

Also, (you might already know this) you could use the Sequencer tab on the timeline to make every character walk at a different rhythm - that way they don't all lift their left foot at the same time, for example. It's easy to use the Sequencer for each character, but you may need to watch a quick tutorial, as it's not intuitive at all, imo. Note that you can always start the animation on a frame other than 1 to take into account the different starting points: Character A starts walking in frame 1, Character B starts walking on frame 5, etc.
NealF

Post by NealF »

It worked!

Thanks.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another option to keep in mind is Import. When you choose import and select a project that has one or more rigs in it, Moho gives you the option to import any of the rigs individually or all together. Because each rig arrives in its own group, you can animate and place them wherever you like. If you want to re-use existing animation, Moho will import the rig with whatever keyframes you have on it.

With import, Moho also gives you the option to unlink the Styles so you can apply different settings to the imported rig. The Styles still exist in the imported rig but have a different internal ID associated. This was how I was able to import about 70 animated cats for a scene in Boss Baby: Back In Business and assign different fur colors even though they all started out with the same Styles. (The scene is on my 2019 reel.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Good to know.
Thanks. I'm sure it'll come in handy sometime soon. Thanks.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:02 pm
NealF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:23 pm Hi.

Thanks.
It sounds like you have keyframes for layer scale and layer translation further down the timeline, and they are getting duplicated. I would look for those keyframes and delete them.

Also, (you might already know this) you could use the Sequencer tab on the timeline to make every character walk at a different rhythm - that way they don't all lift their left foot at the same time, for example. It's easy to use the Sequencer for each character, but you may need to watch a quick tutorial, as it's not intuitive at all, imo. Note that you can always start the animation on a frame other than 1 to take into account the different starting points: Character A starts walking in frame 1, Character B starts walking on frame 5, etc.
Yes. I have a little familiarity with the sequencer. I'm not a newbie, but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

NealF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 pm Yes. I have a little familiarity with the sequencer. I'm not a newbie, but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks.
Oops. I should've checked your post count. With that many posts, you'd likely be aware of the sequencer.

Please consider making an avatar, that way I can remember who you are. It takes me a long time to remember forum names, but I'll remember the Evil Cactus avatar guy in .5 seconds.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:34 pm Another option to keep in mind is Import. When you choose import and select a project that has one or more rigs in it, Moho gives you the option to import any of the rigs individually or all together. Because each rig arrives in its own group, you can animate and place them wherever you like. If you want to re-use existing animation, Moho will import the rig with whatever keyframes you have on it.

With import, Moho also gives you the option to unlink the Styles so you can apply different settings to the imported rig. The Styles still exist in the imported rig but have a different internal ID associated. This was how I was able to import about 70 animated cats for a scene in Boss Baby: Back In Business and assign different fur colors even though they all started out with the same Styles. (The scene is on my 2019 reel.)
Thanks, D. R. BTW, you do great work!
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:35 pm
NealF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 pm Yes. I have a little familiarity with the sequencer. I'm not a newbie, but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks.
Oops. I should've checked your post count. With that many posts, you'd likely be aware of the sequencer.

Please consider making an avatar, that way I can remember who you are. It takes me a long time to remember forum names, but I'll remember the Evil Cactus avatar guy in .5 seconds.
Still trying to find where to make the avatar. Don't see any place in my profile.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

NealF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:01 pm Still trying to find where to make the avatar. Don't see any place in my profile.
Click on the "profile" button at the top, above the search bar. Choose "profile" from the menu.

Where it shows your username, click on "edit profile" - this is tricky, imo, because it sounds like you will be editing your username. But instead it opens a panel with several options, including "edit avatar". It's on the left side.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

Go to your User Control Panel and click on Profile, then click on Edit Avatar.

Edit: Whoops...looks like we posted at the same time. :D