How to keyframe the mask tool

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

vivekchakraverty

How to keyframe the mask tool

Post by vivekchakraverty »

i was trying to create this animation where a woman is cleaning a dirty floor. Though i got the dirt filled floor look by using a dirt map and using opacity, can i animate it to have a clean look by animation the mask tool?
Daxel

Re: How to keyframe the mask tool

Post by Daxel »

Yes you can animate the shape/s of the layers that compose the mask.

You can use the "Mask outside bottom layer" in the quick settings of a group layer, to have the bottom layer used as a subtracting layer, and now the pixels of the top layer that are inside the bottom layer visible pixels will be subtracted, they will be invisible, so if you are masking the dirty layer it will dissapear in those parts.

You can animate the shapes of the subtracting layer to animate how the dirty is being substracted. Those shapes can even have some transparency so you can clean little by little, resting opacity to the dirty layer stacking these shapes with transparency to subtract more and more opacity from the dirty layer. Making this shapes in the subtracting layer liquid shapes with a high level of blend would look pretty cool.
Last edited by Daxel on Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

if you are now on 14.0 you have liquid shapes that can have a "subtract" mode shape erasing the dirt shape from over the underlying clean floor. No need for masking!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

hayasidist wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 am if you are now on 14.0 you have liquid shapes that can have a "subtract" mode shape erasing the dirt shape from over the underlying clean floor. No need for masking!
Good idea! that makes me wonder, does the subtraction work with transparency? Can you subtract some transparency from the other shape with liquid shapes?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Daxel wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:43 am
hayasidist wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 am if you are now on 14.0 you have liquid shapes that can have a "subtract" mode shape erasing the dirt shape from over the underlying clean floor. No need for masking!
Good idea! that makes me wonder, does the subtraction work with transparency? Can you subtract some transparency from the other shape with liquid shapes?
I don't think so. the "composite" liquid shape takes on the attributes of the base shape. But this can be animated
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I used a gradient as a mask once and used a color for the left side and a 100% transparency for the second color swatch gave it a slight fade out effect
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

I used an animated shape mask once to simulate a character using spray-paint. A mask is layer made of objects with points, so it can be animated like any other layer made of objects with points.
- Dave

(As Your GM)