The depth of field could be better

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jmmk

The depth of field could be better

Post by Jmmk »

Well in order to use the depth of field you need to enable it in project setting but lets say you have an animation duration 2 minutes and you have diffrent camera angle and close and long shot so it order to use it u need to render each scenes separately and thats so boring so in my opinion the depth of field need to be in camera and the camera need to be in object manager so you can control it easily and change it well someone will say thats 2d not 3d i will say the camera is for more control 👍
Last edited by Jmmk on Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: The depth of field is useless

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho's Depth Of Field feature is a camera effect. For example...

I have to admit, in creating this example, Moho 14 surprised me by displaying the effect live in the workspace. That's pretty cool.

That said, I always found the having the controls inside Project Settings is too fiddly and time-consuming, requiring several trial-and-error preview renders to get it just right. I agree, the controls really should be present in the camera options. I also wish we had a visualizer to interactively show the focal plane and range inside the workspace.

Until we get that, I prefer to render passes using Layer Comps and Exporter, and apply the DOF effect in a composting program (like After Effects, Fusion, or Nuke.) It's faster and I have more control this way.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

In studying my example above, I figured out that the end of the elongated box around the camera indicates where the focal point is. When I increase the distance in the Project Settings, the box gets longer. This is better than nothing, but there doesn't appear to be a representation for the range.

This representation can be improved, though. It really should be a semi-transparent plane in front of the camera so I can tell if it's in front of or behind a layer. The controls should also be interactive and located in the camera options, not in Project Settings.

In my opinion, I would never call this feature useless, but it could be better.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, and DOF should be animateable, and I should be able to constrain the focal point to a layer...even an empty one, since we don't have null objects in Moho.
Jmmk

Post by Jmmk »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:50 am In studying my example above, I figured out that the end of the elongated box around the camera indicates where the focal point is. When I increase the distance in the Project Settings, the box gets longer. This is better than nothing, but there doesn't appear to be a representation for the the range.

This representation can be improved, though. It really should be a semi-transparent plane in front of the camera so I can tell if it's in front of or behind a layer. The controls should also be interactive and located in the camera options, not in Project Settings.

In my opinion, I would never call this feature useless, but it could be better.
Right it could be better