Strange masking issue in 14

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kmvassey

Strange masking issue in 14

Post by kmvassey »

Hey y'all! I was noticing some weird masking behavior in an old 13.5 scene and decided to investigate in a scene that was fresh. It looks like the masking doesn't quite work as expected when you have a stroke on your shape. I'll post some images from a fresh session of 14. I am sure these little things will get worked out, but I wanted others to not have to debug like I did. Happy Moho-ing!

Kaye Vassey (she/her)
Senior Animation Manager

Movie Credits
LinkedIn
Art Instagram
Greenlaw

Re: Strange masking issue in 14

Post by Greenlaw »

I believe the faceting in the mask edge is only a display artifact, and the line should draw smoothly when it's rendered. To check this, press Ctrl-R. If the edge in the render look smooth, you're good to go.

My understanding is that the mask edge faceting is a technical compromise for getting masking and certain shading effects to display more correctly and in real time. It's a minor trade-off for getting better performance during animation, so I wouldn't worry about it. (I believe Victor explains this in one of the Moho 14 New Features videos. )

Now, if the edges still look faceted in the render preview, then the issue could be something else. Let me know how it goes.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's an example...

This is the art layer we will be masking...

And this is the mask layer under the art layer...

Here's the artwork with the mask applied. Note that I enabled Exclude Strokes to render the outline stroke from the mask on top of the art layer.

The mask edge in the display preview above looks faceted, like in your example, but when I press Ctrl-R to check my render quality, the edge look nice and smooth...

Hope this helps.
kmvassey

Post by kmvassey »

Hi! Thank you and it sounds like I need to watch the videos a little closer.

Also, it's nice to meet you. I was at DWA for many years myself. :)
Kaye Vassey (she/her)
Senior Animation Manager

Movie Credits
LinkedIn
Art Instagram
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Kaye,
kmvassey wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:15 pm Also, it's nice to meet you. I was at DWA for many years myself. :)
Cool! Yes, nice to meet you, too! 😸