Moho 14 is finally here!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Moho 14 is finally here!

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Moho 14 is finally here! We have worked very hard to make version 14 our biggest upgrade so far. We’ve mixed the best 2D rigging system with unique traditional and non-traditional animation tools. Version 14 includes many new features! Moho now looks and runs better than ever thanks to a totally new graphics engine. Drawing, filling, erasing and animating frame-by-frame is now smoother and more responsive. The unique Liquid Shapes will make you think about elemental animation in ways you never imagined! The new Curvers allow you to bend vectors and images with total control. The new SVG import is better than ever. Masking Preview has been greatly enhanced. Brushes are more powerful. Moho 14 also includes many more features and upgrades! When we say the future is 2D, we mean it!

Visit https://mohoanimation.com for more details and upgrading options.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
xLimbox

Re: Moho 14 is finally here!

Post by xLimbox »

Wow, this is awesome, congratulations it looks promising, where can we see a guide ? or what day will be the TOUR about the tool ? :mrgreen:
Dolphin2011

Post by Dolphin2011 »

There is only one price? How about the price from Moho 13.5 upgrade to 14? I have been with Moho for so many years, since Moho 5. Anyway, thank you for the great work.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Dolphin2011 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm There is only one price? How about the price from Moho 13.5 upgrade to 14? I have been with Moho for so many years, since Moho 5. Anyway, thank you for the great work.
You can check the upgrading options here
https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/buy#upgrade
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Dolphin2011 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm There is only one price? How about the price from Moho 13.5 upgrade to 14? I have been with Moho for so many years, since Moho 5. Anyway, thank you for the great work.
This link on the website tells you about the upgrade price: https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/buy#upgrade

p.s. Moho 5 is still great software. I have it installed for fun.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

First impression: great! It has a lot more new stuff than I expected. And you really listened to the animators. Thank you Mike and Victor!
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I've been testing version 14 for about an hour, mostly using the elements I tend to use the most. The freehand drawing tools and the blob brush are better in every way. Wow!

The masking is better (it automatically fixed a nuisance-type of masking problem with one of my complex version 13 rigs).

I like the extra buttons added to save time that would've been spent using the menu, and the "push frames right/left" buttons.

There's a lot more I haven't tested, but I just wanted to say, "Great job, Lost Marble!"
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:11 pm I've been testing version 14 for about an hour, mostly using the elements I tend to use the most. The freehand drawing tools and the blob brush are better in every way. Wow!
Yes, Freehand and Blob Brush was GREATLY improved for Moho 14. In previous releases, you had to disable the Let me use my pen as a mouse option from the Pen & Windows Ink>Additional Pen Settings control panel, but this is no longer required in Moho 14. Freehand with a pen tablet just works! (This was tested here with Wacom Cintiq and Surface Laptop Studio; friends have tested successfully with Wacom Intuos and XP Pen. I have a Huion here somewhere and will test that when I have time.) On top of that, Freehand is way more precise and predictable in Moho 14 than it is in 13.5.5 and earlier, too.

Also, check out the new Add Points...it's now uses click-only drawing, so no more tedious click-and-drag, click-and-drag, etc. This is a HUGE improvement for creating precise drawings (Add Points is still recommended for getting the best bones deformation) and much nicer to my wrist and hand when drawing with a mouse.

The new UI for the FBF Layer is great, too! It is much easier to edit timing with the new keyframe handles. Tip: Even though there is an arrow on the FBF layer, you can't open the layer directly for point animation like in Moho 13.5.5 and earlier. This confused me at first but it's by design. (I hope they remove the arrow in the future because this tells me the layer should be openable.) You can still access the drawings directly for point animation, but you need to convert the FBF layer to a Switch layer to do this. This part is a little awkward (you need to go into Layer Settings,) but I think Mike is looking into streamlining this. Overall, the new FBF system is much easier to use for creating regular FBF animation, especially with the improved drawing tools!

There is so much cool stuff in Moho 14, but I think Liquid Shapes is the main headliner feature here. I've been playing with this for weeks and still wrapping my head around the possibilities.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Too expensive to upgrade for 13, meh. I thought newly purchased V13 owners will get free upgrade even... Sadly. No grace period = bad move.
EricTheFish

Post by EricTheFish »

Grabbed my upgrade today and can't stop playing with it - so many improvements and it looks like some of Sam and Eugene's incredible tool tweaks are built in!
Thank you Victor and the team - Xmas has come early here! :D
EricTheFish
Artist, musician, animator, coder and dabbler in stuff
www.tech-nique.co.uk
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

lazyroll wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 pm Too expensive to upgrade for 13, meh. I thought newly purchased V13 owners will get free upgrade even... Sadly. No grace period = bad move.
IMO, $99 for upgrading from 13.x to 14 is a bargain. I mean, this is the first paid upgrade for Moho in over four years!

If you purchased 13.5.5 very recently, I would contact Lost Marble directly. I don't know what they will say, but it's worth a shot because the $99 price is for a limited time only.
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 pm
lazyroll wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 pm Too expensive to upgrade for 13, meh. I thought newly purchased V13 owners will get free upgrade even... Sadly. No grace period = bad move.
IMO, $99 for upgrading from 13.x to 14 is a bargain. I mean, this is the first paid upgrade for Moho in over four years!

If you purchased 13.5.5 very recently, I would contact Lost Marble directly. I don't know what they will say, but it's worth a shot because the $99 price is for a limited time only.
the transition from 12.5 to 13.5 was paid
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho 13.0 was released back in June 2019. Technically, that would be when Smith Micro announced the last paid upgrade (from 12.5 to 13.0). Lost Marble continued to honor this upgrade price after they acquired Moho, even though they never sold Moho 12.5. Upgrading from Moho 13.0 (sold by Smith Micro) to Moho 13.5 (by Lost Marble) was free, even though Lost Marble did not sell Moho 13.0.

But, seriously, $99 is a good deal compared to other professional 2D animation programs like Harmony and Adobe Animate. Just sayin'. 😺

And, if you choose not to upgrade, Moho 13.5.5 is still pretty awesome; it introduced many advances over Moho 12.5.

Even Moho 12.5 (free upgrade from 12.0 released August 2016) works well; most of my television animation work was animated using this release.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.
aongus

Post by aongus »

I’ve upgraded to 14, and have been playing with it.

Initial reaction: the new blob brush is amazing! Not as precise as Clip Studio or Harmony, but it has a unique character and appeal. It can look like a real pen dipped in ink.

Up to now, I’ve haven’t been a fan of Moho’s drawing tools, but for certain styles I could see Moho 14 being great for inking and colouring editorial cartoons/comics as well as animation, or a combination of both.

And it makes it a pleasure in 14 to simply doodle or thumbnail ideas.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

The Blob/Freehand stuff will make drawing replacement things like hands so much easier. And the sped-up viewport is worth the price of admission alone!