Issue with (psd-)importer with switch layer: breaks animation

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mmmaarten

Issue with (psd-)importer with switch layer: breaks animation

Post by mmmaarten »

Just created a Lost Marble ticket on this because can't conclude otherwise that this being a bug,
but posting this here too because it might help others before it's solved when having the same issue:

(this is a continuation of thread here: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 40#p212540)

issue
Today I had this weird issue where a keyframed switch layer became invisible in the viewport and renders if the animation plays. It worked fine when just stepping through the frames of the timeline, but when hitting 'play' the images were gone in the viewport and they didn't render either.

None of the layers in Moho have an opacity other than 100% (nothing keyframed either), it's set to visible in the layers panel, and none of them have 'Don't render this layer', 'Hide in editing view', or 'Allow animated layer effects' turned on. So they should all just work fine in that regard.

You can see the issue here:

What I did
Created a fresh new file in Moho. After that I imported only a single PSD file with all layers imported individually (already having the group layers and hierarchy inside of the PSD and Moho interpreted the layers with numbered children as switch layers as expected.
Than I made two actions;
- one action animates the first switch group (signature) --> only switches the children as a 'randomized' image sequence
- and the other animates the second switch group (shadow) --> only switches the children as a 'randomized' image sequence
Both actions end with a cycle keyframe to loop and were than added to the mainline as a reference so they both start from frame 1. So they always play from frame 1.

But one of these actions/switch layers kept working when hitting play, and the other one didn't. So this is what I found:

Cause of the issue
The issue is that the switch layer that DID work had all it's children in the original PSD file set to 100% opacity.
The switch layer that dissapeared when hittting play (but kept working when only stepping through the frames, mysterically), had it's opacity set to a lower value.

So this means that, eventhough Moho ignores opacity values of layers when importing (when I set an opacity in a PSD on a layer Moho doesn't takes this value to adjust the layers opacity), it does do something wrong during import as it breaks the animation capabilities on that switch layer making it fail to animate.
To me it doesn't make sense why this happens, but there's clearly an issue in the (PSD-)importer as I can replicate this every time now that I know what causes this. Please see video below where I demonstrate this and also show what "solves it":
Adults should play more often
slowtiger

Re: Issue with (psd-)importer with switch layer: breaks animation

Post by slowtiger »

This is interesting, I did some test myself and found a different behaviour.
Prepared a PSD file with 3 groups containing several layers:
1. all 100%
2. all individuals set to 50%, group to 100%
3. all individuals set to 100%, group to 50%

First odd thing: "Import image sequence" just gives me the composite of everything in Moho (13.5.5 mac), as 1 image.

"Import image" lets me choose, I chose "individual layers" and got the intact group/layer structure. Changed the groups to switch layers. Did some keyframes in each switch layer. All showed up in playback. Note that group 3 showed all images as 100%, thus ignoring the 50% setting of the group itself. Group 2 had all images transparent (but as 100% in Moho).

Did the same test with odd transparency settings in PS: 99%, 49%, 51%. Same result.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5