Wacom pen zoom bug?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Slimj

Wacom pen zoom bug?

Post by Slimj »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to use a Wacom pen to zoom in and out of Moho 13.5. Holding down shift + right click + moving the pen does the trick of zooming in and out. My problem is that when I right click with the pen it inadvertently selects the nearest point. When I release the right click after zooming the selected point moves to where ever my pen is. This makes it unusable and is driving me a bit nuts! I've tried using the zoom tool but it's not preferable because it's just too slow a way to navigate around. Any help is much appreciated!
Greenlaw

Re: Wacom pen zoom bug?

Post by Greenlaw »

Slimj wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:19 pm I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to use a Wacom pen to zoom in and out of Moho 13.5. Holding down shift + right click + moving the pen does the trick of zooming in and out. My problem is that when I right click with the pen it inadvertently selects the nearest point.
To zoom with my Wacom pen, I hold Shift and hold the primary finger switch (RMB assigned) and move the pen L/R.

For other navigation, hold Ctrl with primary finger for rotation, and no key with primary finger for panning.

Nothing gets selected when I do the above. Nearby point selection occurs only when I tap and drag with no pen switch held (LMB). Hold Ctrl with no pen switch for the selection Marquee.

I believe I'm using the default Wacom configuration except MMB is assigned to the secondary finger.

Hope this helps.

Additional info: If you have a multi-touch Wacom tablet, enable Navigation Only. Years ago I had a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 and using multi-touch for Moho was fun and very productive on that device. You must enable Navigation Only though or it will really mess things up.
Slimj

Post by Slimj »

Thanks for the reply Greenlaw. I didn't know about the rotate canvas keys so that's really helpful! But unfortunately the problem still remains. I'm using a Cintiq 24 without touchscreen capability. So it can't be that in this case. Im using the bottom button on the pen as right click. But it still grabs the nearest point each time. No idea why. If anyone knows let me know!

Cheers
Slimj

Post by Slimj »

Just found a good workaround! for anyone else with this problem you can change the top button of your Wacom pen (in Wacom pen settings) to navigation/pan/scroll(legacy) and it works without have to hold shift. Bonus.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Slimj wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:19 pm I'm using a Cintiq 24 without touchscreen capability...Im using the bottom button on the pen as right click. But it still grabs the nearest point each time. No idea why. If anyone knows let me know!
Curious...I'm using the Cintiq 24 P (no touch) at work right now and the controls work as described. Just checked my pen settings again to be sure:

upper finger: Middle click
lower finger: Right click
tip: Left click

Tested here and, yeah, lower finger (R click) doesn't select points, it pans the workspace.

WAIT! I left out one important bit of info: I just realized that when I'm panning I'm actually hover-clicking. I've been doing this for so long, I didn't realize I wasn't actually touching the tablet screen with the pen. (Naturally, you need to enable Hover Click in Options if it's not already on.)

If I touch the screen with the pen while pressing the lower finger switch, then, yes, it does move the closest points...just as you described!

So, try it with Hover Clicking.

For me, anyway, this configuration works smoothly on a Wacom tablet, and with fewer modifier keys to remember. (Obviously I don't even think about it anymore.) :D
Slimj

Post by Slimj »

Ah that is interesting! My hover click setting was currently on. But it's great that you managed to replicated the error. Going to try and update my Wacom driver and see if that sorts it. Thanks for helping out Greenlaw. Much appreciated!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Slimj wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:57 am Ah that is interesting! My hover click setting was currently on. But it's great that you managed to replicated the error. Going to try and update my Wacom driver and see if that sorts it. Thanks for helping out Greenlaw. Much appreciated!
Sure, glad to help!

It's funny but I'm WFH today and using my older model Cintiq (27 QHD) and I see I don't need to hover-click with it. That is, the points are not selected when I R-click and touch the screen. I checked the Wacom device settings and they appear to be the same as the Cintiq (24 P). But when I'm using the Cintiq here at home without thinking about it, I'm still hover-clicking anyway. I guess Hover-clicking is just a habit I formed and it feels natural for me. I recall that's how I used Moho on my old Cintiq Companion 2 years ago.

These days I use a Surface Laptop Studio for mobile work and found the Surface Pen behaves quite differently from the Wacom pen, but I got used to that too. For example, to click on the Bone Constraints menu with the Surface Pen, I need to press-and-hold the finger switch before I click the screen button...unlike with the Wacom pen where I just click the screen button directly. Also, to r-click a layer with the Surface pen, I need to press-and-hold and then tap the layer, but with the Wacom pen I hover over the layer and then tap the finger switch.

So they all have their own quirky differences, but I think they all work fine once I adapted.