Shaded Effect Discrepencies

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

vivekchakraverty

Shaded Effect Discrepencies

Post by vivekchakraverty »

I have recently bought Moho Pro 12.5 from a bundle offer and am now trying to learn more about the software through an Udemy course. This is the first problem I have run into.

In the instruction video a rectangle with a shaded effect looks like a rectangle with a bevel on its sides and top.

In my software, the shaded effect hardly changes anything in the rectangle shape i drew on the screen.

What am i doing wrong? Can anyone help?
Daxel

Re: Shaded Effect Discrepencies

Post by Daxel »

vivekchakraverty wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:45 am I have recently bought Moho Pro 12.5 from a bundle offer and am now trying to learn more about the software through an Udemy course. This is the first problem I have run into.

In the instruction video a rectangle with a shaded effect looks like a rectangle with a bevel on its sides and top.

In my software, the shaded effect hardly changes anything in the rectangle shape i drew on the screen.

What am i doing wrong? Can anyone help?
Welcome to the forum!

If you see a change when applying the shaded effect, but it doesn't look like in the tutorial, then it's a matter of tweaking the options for the effect until you get the desired result.
It helps to undertand what each option actually does, and for that I recommend you check the user's manual frecuently while you take any course: https://lostmarble.net/Manuals/Moho%20U ... ual_HQ.pdf

(The tutorial manual is also a good additional resource and may be a better way to introduce you to the software than any course: https://lostmarble.net/Manuals/Moho%20T ... ual_HQ.pdf)

As you can see in the user's manual:

Moho 13.5 Users Manual 263, Chapter 13: Style Window

Shaded Fill Effects

When you choose Shaded Fill effects, a dialog displays the following options:

Shaded Effect Options

• Light Angle: Provides a dial that allows you to change the direction that the light is coming from. You can also enter a numerical value. Zero degrees is located at the bottom of the dial.
• Offset: Allows you to assign a value for how far the shadow is offset from the
filled area
• Blur: Controls the softness of the shadow.
• Shadow Color: Allows you to choose the shadow color from a color palette.
• Shadow Only: Check this option to only display the shadow, without the fill.
• Threshold: Works in conjunction with blur, and can be used to produce smoother transitions in corners. The more an object is blurred, the more the threshold will have an effect. The blur is computed first, and then the threshold is added on top of it to smooth out the overall shape.

If you don't actually see any change at all, then should check if your display quality settings let you see fills, shape effects and other stuff. From the manual, page 162: Near the bottom-right of the main Moho window is a popup box that lets you customize the level of display quality in the editing area.

Also, while I think this is not the case, remember that sometimes the working display view doesn't perfectly show the final result, so you should render sometimes to see the actual result.
vivekchakraverty

I discovered the trick, first you need to select the effect and its settings and then draw the shape. Sorry for disturbing you all with this elementary question. Thanks for all the help!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

vivekchakraverty wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:57 am I discovered the trick, first you need to select the effect and its settings and then draw the shape. Sorry for disturbing you all with this elementary question. Thanks for all the help!
Oh, yeah I think the style panel is pretty confusing for begginers, I had a hard time getting used to it. The key is to understand that it is like three panels or modes at the same time, and pay attention to which of these three modes are you actually working with at any moment, which is displayed at the top of the style panel: DEFAULT, SHAPE, and STYLE.

1. The DEFAULT style mode (for when you create new shapes): It acts like this if no shape is selected. And by shape, I mean shape, not the points of a shape (to select a shape you have to use the select shape tool). This is how you used it, because you said you had to select the effect before drawing she shape.

2. The selected SHAPE style mode: if you have a shape selected, the style panel will be all about that shape and will only affect that shape. This way you can do what you wanted to do: to create a shape, then select it and add the shaded effect to it.

3. The saved STYLE mode: in the style panel, you can click on the Styles drop down menu to create new saved styles that you can reuse and apply to multiple shapes, and when you select a saved style the panel will be all about that saved style so you can edit it and it will affect every shape that has that style.
vivekchakraverty

Thanks for pointing that out! :D