Image to partlicles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Image to partlicles

Post by DK »

Hi all.
Sorry I haven't been around the forum lately as we are working on a documentary series which leads me to a Moho question. Can anyone suggest a way to break an image into smaller pieces or particles as an animation in Moho? I was thinking of using masking but I need the pieces to break off the image and move away separately. Any ideas?
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers
D.K
hayasidist

Re: Image to partlicles

Post by hayasidist »

how many pieces approx? I'm in the process of scripting something like this for "big numbers" but the principle is sound and achievable manually for smaller numbers.
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

Hi....I would do this
- Shapes (puzzle) forms the cover (picture)
- Each shape (piece/puzzle) has the image (video) mask on it, showing only a piece of it
- Copies of this group (shape + mask), while we set the vector pieces in their appropriate place (the mask is fixed in place, of course) and automatically, the parts of the image (the video) will be formed perfectly fused
Animation... We just have to animate each group the way we like it
- We don't have to adjust the pieces perfectly, because the beginning will really be the whole picture without the puzzle ( ans scattering phase flaws will not be noticble)
I think this will work without problems. If I could deliver the technique :)
Decent people still here .. keep dreaming .
https://www.youtube.com/c/mohamedviking
DK

Post by DK »

Hi hayasidist and Egyptianboy.
Re: how many pieces question....it would be great to be able to adjust numbers here. I would say at least 10 to 50 would be effective. Not looking at turning anything into dust at this stage :) I thought of mapping an image to a 3D polygon in Lightwave 3D and using an old plugin called MGBreakUp might work, but it ran off by itself creating thousands of 3D particles that eventually crashed my computer!!!! :cry:

Egyptianboy. Really good solution you have there! Sounds like it might be a bit time consuming to set up though It would be great to see an example. Maybe a template could be made using this technique that could be re-used and the video sources replaced to suit other projects?
Thanks for all the responses.
Cheers
D.K
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9f0k1lzq ... r.rar/file
Here's a quick example file that I just made :idea:
The image can be replaced with an animated video as well
The initial prepare is really quick, depending on the pieces num, and the animation can be done in any way ... hope it helps
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You could also use a triangulated mesh and draw all the pieces there. The final result will be very similar to using masking, but the file will be way simpler.
As long as the pieces don't cross each other, you should be fine.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

DK wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:02 am Hi hayasidist and Egyptianboy.
Re: how many pieces question....it would be great to be able to adjust numbers here. I would say at least 10 to 50 would be effective. Not looking at turning anything into dust at this stage :)
one example. 10 pieces I think.. not great animation but shows the technique. Basically a smart mesh of individual rectangular shapes that are neatly lined up, each point animated .. there are better ways (e.g bones rather than point animation), but it is time consuming to hand rig and animate once you to a larger grid. Victor's approach is better IMO.
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

A simple example.. The image can be replaced with another one or with a video clip
ps. the vector pieces can be intersected . no need to perfect touch
https://www.mediafire.com/file/v0vicvm9 ... 2.rar/file
DK

Post by DK »

These are amazing examples! Thank you all so much! I downloaded Victors example as it looks so natural but the other examples from hayasidist and Egyptianboy are also great!Thank you all so much for your time and examples. I just love this forum!!!
Cheers
D.k
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

In this video, I cut the objects into pieces and used physics to move the pieces.
DK

Post by DK »

A great twist. Thanks Hoptoad. I will be looking at all these options. Thank you all so much.
Cheers
D.K
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Hoptoad wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 pm In this video, I cut the objects into pieces and used physics to move the pieces.
Good Job. I half expected the Ball to crack on the last letter (Z).
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam