Greetings from Australia

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SixByNine

Greetings from Australia

Post by SixByNine »

Hi All,

My name's Russell. I'm from sunny Queensland, Australia. I'm a hobbyist artist and have recently been progressing from Procreate/Affinity/Fresco on my iPad, to Krita/Desktop Affinity/Rebelle on my PC. To date I've been focussing on creating traditional art style painting, and also cartoon-style illustrations. However, I love exploring new areas of creativity, and went down the rabbit hole of trying out animation in these drawing applications, only to realise I'm not patient enough to do frame-by-frame animation. Repetitive re-drawing of the same/similar thing over and over just doesn't float by boat.

So, exploring the work of character rigging. I've been investigating OpenToonz and also Grease Pencil (been trying to learn Blender on and off for over 30 years, very poorly too I might add). Didn't get far into looking at what OpenToonz can do (just reading, hadn't even installed), when the Humble Bundle with Moho popped up. The UI and workflow for Moho looked so much cleaner and simpler than OpenToonz, that I decided the AUD$45 investment was worth a shot. That leads me to where I am now, registering here on the forum, and seeing if I can jump in and make a go of Moho just a fun hobby, maybe even just animating my existing static art (ala Harry Potter photo-style) or trying to develop some cartoon character art into animations. Growing up on Looney Toons, I'd love to be able to recreate some Road Runner style stories.

I'm also a computer program by profession, although I gave it up as a paying job about 10 years as the constant keyboard work was causing pain in my knuckles. But I still dabble in casual programming, so any software I come across that includes scripting abilities also interests me as I love developing add-on tools. I once converted the Bullet Physics engine to run under the Shiva game engine, before that basically went belly up.

So I'm at the point of having to do lots of reading to get the full background on MOHO and get up to speed with the workflow and content creation. If I jump the gun on questions there are answers here for somewhere, please excuse me while I try to absorb the wealth of information to read when learning something new. My first decision will be whether to upgrade to Moho 13.5. I'm not sure whether the 12.5 version I have will be limiting anything soon. It's a fair bit of money to invest given I'm just playing around, but FOMO tells me I should take the discounted upgrade price while I can. I'm a bit of a sucker for a sale in that regards, especially when I look at OpenToonz and think I could possibly achieve the same results for a lot less investment, but at my age time is more important than money, so I see anything that saves me time as being worth the cost.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you've read this far, well done. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful to the community down the track.
alanthebox

Re: Greetings from Australia

Post by alanthebox »

welcome to the club!

if you haven't done so, a great place to start is the tutorial manual included under the help menu. going through that should really help with the fundamentals of how this software works!
SixByNine

Re: Greetings from Australia

Post by SixByNine »

alanthebox wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:45 am welcome to the club!

if you haven't done so, a great place to start is the tutorial manual included under the help menu. going through that should really help with the fundamentals of how this software works!
Thanks. I have found that document, but not started yet. Will get some hands-on this weekend hopefully.