Dragging layers?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DustBoii

Dragging layers?

Post by DustBoii »

So I'm new. Kind of leapt into all this and bought the Pro version a few nights ago. Anyways not even going to lie I've been a little overwhelmed watching Udemy courses on how to use it. Anyways being a experienced Photoshop/ClipStudio Paint user I decided I was going to just hop in and draw something and try to add bones and animate it just to get the hang of things.

So as one does I drew a Phallic object (Literally just for goofs) threw in some balls.. Went to move one ball to behind the shaft by dragging its layer to behind the shaft layer and... wait it wont move.... I googled it and got more confused. Call me crazy but dragging layers to arrange them is like a pretty normal thing. To be clear Im not trying to animate a layer shift... just drawing and sometimes I draw out of order then arrange stuff. So im just curious how do I rearrange layers?

So when I originally got the program. I kind of imagined I could draw out characters in clip studio and then animated them on MOHO but then im seeing you can kind of do more if you do the vectors in moho itself.. But I was excited to do things like 3d camera zooms through foreground objects and stuff.

While I have y'all I'm curious about things like blending layers.. Like putting a noise layer above everything it give it grain and then setting it overlay? It there overlay? Also for things like blood and fire.. IS there a particle system? I googled it and im just finding really really bad looking examples that almost look like someone trying to animate fire through clip art slideshow software. Could you use particles from a program like SpriteMancer https://spritemancer.com/
hayasidist

Re: Dragging layers?

Post by hayasidist »

DustBoii wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:36 am So I'm new. Kind of leapt into all this and bought the Pro version a few nights ago. Anyways not even going to lie I've been a little overwhelmed watching Udemy courses on how to use it. Anyways being a experienced Photoshop/ClipStudio Paint user I decided I was going to just hop in and draw something and try to add bones and animate it just to get the hang of things.
Welcome!
DustBoii wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:36 am So as one does I drew a Phallic object (Literally just for goofs) threw in some balls.. Went to move one ball to behind the shaft by dragging its layer to behind the shaft layer and... wait it wont move.... I googled it and got more confused. Call me crazy but dragging layers to arrange them is like a pretty normal thing. To be clear Im not trying to animate a layer shift... just drawing and sometimes I draw out of order then arrange stuff. So im just curious how do I rearrange layers?
You can drag layers up and down in the layers window... or in and out of groups ...
DustBoii wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:36 am So when I originally got the program. I kind of imagined I could draw out characters in clip studio and then animated them on MOHO but then im seeing you can kind of do more if you do the vectors in moho itself.. But I was excited to do things like 3d camera zooms through foreground objects and stuff.
There's a lot you can do with bitmap / imported assets ... it really depends on the animation style you want. When you get further in to the program, there are all sorts of things that you can use to animate (including deform) bitmaps.
DustBoii wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:36 am While I have y'all I'm curious about things like blending layers.. Like putting a noise layer above everything it give it grain and then setting it overlay? It there overlay? Also for things like blood and fire.. IS there a particle system? I googled it and im just finding really really bad looking examples that almost look like someone trying to animate fire through clip art slideshow software. Could you use particles from a program like SpriteMancer https://spritemancer.com/
Yep - blend modes are there... it's an option in layer setting / general. Overlay is there too - and used in conjunction with masking it can give texture: https://youtu.be/KFcyaKehHxc (and some 3d camera work in that too). Particles: yes - and as well as the native particle system, there are a few presets in Scripts / Particle effects
DustBoii

Post by DustBoii »

Okay wow... I just reloaded in and it did indeed drag. I swear it wasnt allowing me to drag at the time of writing this. How odd. Thanks again.
RendCycle

Post by RendCycle »

DustBoii wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:18 pm Okay wow... I just reloaded in and it did indeed drag. I swear it wasnt allowing me to drag at the time of writing this. How odd. Thanks again.
Experienced the same thing. After posting it publicly and rerunning Moho Pro 12.5, dragging layers is now suddenly working fine on my side.