Moho 14. And The Rise Of AI.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Re: Moho 14. And The Rise Of AI.

Post by slowtiger »

Think of SIGGRAPH demos, the kind we see for 30 years now: always impressive, sometimes with good ideas, but they all are just lab setups with no connection to the real world. There's a reason why we don't see the impressive renderings of 3D fractals, Stable Diffusion's Steal&Morph, or any of those "automatic inbetweening of 2D drawings" in the context of complete films. All this is still standalone software (if implemented at all and not just a paper), there's no API to connect it to established tools of the industry, and often not even an UI to use it easier than with line-by-line coding.

Ever heard animators complain about the restrictions of their software? "It doesn't let me do X" is a common one. Do you know that all the new AI projects are heavily censored? No matter who finances them or where they come from, they all have long lists of forbidden terms, be it "foul language", anything related to sexuality, also politics, and, most of all, persons. Which of them was it that didn't let you prompt the name of its CEO? "Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that." They all are crippled in more ways than you could imagine. So it's not just a reduction of visual imagination, it's cutting off large parts of possible content, it restricts your very thinking.

Does Moho do that? No. Does any Adobe software do that? No, aside from one restriction to manipulate legal tender scans. But as soon as you are using any database not your own, you make yourself and your art dependent on other people's decision about what's in it.

It is quite easy to spot the results of visual AI right now, and it will be for some time. I'm more worried about chatGPT and the like, text-based AI, because it is already in use, experimentally right now, but improving soon, and cannot be detected because it's in pre-production, in scripting. Ever ranted about cookie-cutter animated shows? Always the same little conflicts, always the same story arcs? Be prepared for heaploads more of that. And as a writer, be prepared to be paid even less (that's why they're on strike right now).

Visual AI will, as long as I can foresee it, be used in short forms only: advertisement, video clips, tiktok and Instagram, and the occasional non-narrative short film on festivals. Anywhere else it just doesn't fit, not in our traditional narrative structures and not in our filmic languages. It's like performing Shakespeare, but each actor wears a glitter suit: doesn't add anything to the story.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
opeth

Post by opeth »

slowtiger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:36 am Visual AI will, as long as I can foresee it, be used in short forms only: advertisement, video clips, tiktok and Instagram, and the occasional non-narrative short film on festivals. Anywhere else it just doesn't fit, not in our traditional narrative structures and not in our filmic languages. It's like performing Shakespeare, but each actor wears a glitter suit: doesn't add anything to the story.
This is my prediction as well. As a content producer, we know very well how both the animation side and the story side we will use in animation are prepared with effort. We have many competitors, and what sets us apart from them is that our stories are fluid and different, and our animations are uniquely watchable works.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Sure, AI can produce shit. But tools like this seemed impossible 10 years ago:

I use the "Spot healing brush tool" in Photoshop a lot. I'm happy to never again patch artwork the old way.

And what about using Moho to create a base for style transfer video generation. Let me design some cool artworks and create basic movement and let the AI help me get to the final product.

Yes, AI will produce a lot of shit content in the near future, and it will have an effect on the current platforms. And it might even be able to produce great stuff without much human interference. And if not, why shouldn't we be those humans? Because manual labour is so precious? Nobody is stopping us from animating on paper, yet here we are.
opeth

Post by opeth »

I know all of them, even I follow runawayml's text to animation gen 2 project. Producing something based on it is not a unique work in my opinion. If we take Rick and Morty as a basis, even the pupils of the characters are unique. All drawings, backgrounds and crazy stories are unique. It happens when combined with unique animation in the human brain, consisting of unique stories, to create something long-term and watchable for 10 to 20 minutes. Yes, the things we watch look impressive, but we know that we need many people to produce really quality works with this kind of production technique for people who are on this side of the business.
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
bbrraayyaann

Post by bbrraayyaann »

Lukas wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:01 pm Sure, AI can produce shit. But tools like this seemed impossible 10 years ago:

Wow, those rigs look amazing.
Breinmeester

Post by Breinmeester »

I've been on the Wonder Studio beta for a few weeks now. It's definitely not a one button tool yet, especially the animation can use a few good old fashioned keyframes, but it spits out a clean plate, alpha mask, blender files with lighting and in the future it will also give you camera tracking. That saves a ton of work! :D
Last edited by Breinmeester on Tue May 23, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breinmeester

Post by Breinmeester »

Will you look at that, Corridor Crew just did a video about it:

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath »

Hello everyone. The original poster of this thread has contacted us and requested that their posts and account be removed. We have honored their request, and so you will find that some posts are now gone from this thread. We have not touched anyone else's posts in this thread, including any quotes they may have.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

Seemed like someone who really wanted auto-rigging and easy-3D as features.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
lazerslab

Post by lazerslab »

So I know this thread is old and chopped up at this point but I just wanted to say two things:

1. HOPTOAD: That MohoAI bit is funny shit lol. I would totally watch that cartoon

2. I suspect most of the folks on here are in agreement- Just because AI exists doesn't mean we need to integrate it into every software lol. I love the workflow in MOHO and I hope it stays that way. There is plenty of room for AI in other stages of the pipeline if folks really want it-
striker2311

Post by striker2311 »

Belgarath wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:47 pm Hello everyone. The original poster of this thread has contacted us and requested that their posts and account be removed. We have honored their request, and so you will find that some posts are now gone from this thread. We have not touched anyone else's posts in this thread, including any quotes they may have.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
I'm not complaining it's just funny , now this whole thread's owner seems to be me :P

Though i guess he'll come back with a different name if he loves moho.