Double click on a layer name = Rename

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Double click on a layer name = Rename

Post by JoelMayer »

Imo, Moho needs a lot of little UI/UX tweaks and this is one of them:

In every graphics application, double clicking on a name of a layer activates renaming it. It like Moho to work the same way. ATM it opens the layer properties where you can rename the layer as well but it's still a step more and kind of jarring. My suggestion would be double click on the name to rename and double click on the layer ICON to open layer properties.

I also know, that you can just click once and wait till you're able to rename but i hate waiting in software and it just feels a bit old school.

That's it basically, thanks for your attention.

(And yes, i know theres the little pixel hunting arrow that you could also use but i still would like it better if it worked like in other software. Just my 2 cents)
synthsin75

Re: Double click on a layer name = Rename

Post by synthsin75 »

Since layer settings can be necessary while animating, I think they should have the most real estate for clicking.

Besides, double-clicking, typing a name, and hitting enter to accept/close the dialog doesn't really involve any more clicks/keystrokes.

EDIT: Enable inline layer naming in the preferences. A single click on a selected layer lets you start typing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, just enable the Inline Layer Naming option so you can single click on the layer name to rename it. Works fine and you can still double click on the layer to open the Settings window.

I agree that parts of Moho's default UI settings are not ideal. Some of this is due to current UI limitations but there's a lot you can change now to optimize it. I list many of my own UI preferences in this video...

Better Default Settings For Moho Pro

My suggested settings for the Layers Window starts at 4:09.

Hopefully, UI flexibility will get more love in the next release. :)
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yeah as i wrote, i know with a single click i can rename, but i have to keep still for a second and it's just not a good user feedback in 2023 ;) Most of us probably switch around between at least 3 apps every day and Moho is always a bit of an outlier about how it works in that regard. You're right, theoretically, doubleclicking, entering the name and pressing enter is the same amount of clicks with the layer preference window open as it were if it's just the "regular" Photoshop or whatever way. I still don't see any harm in splitting it up, it's just slicker. Granted, it's not like i couldn't live without it but the layer window in general always "feels" a bit clunky to me i can't tell you why exactly. Probably my Interaction Design degree getting the better of me. Thanks for your responses!
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Affinity apps are similar to Moho, except they don't have a delay. So - click to select another layer, or click same layer to rename instantly. I guess the delay with Moho is to allow a slow double click.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Just checked Affinity and it works exactly as in any other app, double click on the layer name to rename... Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean though haha.