Move layer to different depths in the Z axis

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

djames.suhanko

Move layer to different depths in the Z axis

Post by djames.suhanko »

In Cartoon Animator I have created a scene cutting the background in parts. After that, I have moved each part to a different depth, simulating a 3D scene (the character is passing by the door after passing by behind the window etc).

There is a way to make the same in Moho? I couldn't find a tutorial explaining how to move each one of the layers in the Z axis.

Another doubt related: Can the Moho focus to the depth, blurring objects in the front, like a real camera?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Djames Suhanko
www.dobitaobyte.com.br
Greenlaw

Re: Move layer to different depths in the Z axis

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, the layers in Moho exist in 3D space so you can move them for 3D camera effects (aka parallax.)

To see this, click on the Orbit tool and rotate the view. You should see your layers and the camera in 3D space.

To get depth, you can physically move the layers apart. You can do this by adjusting the z position in the Transform Layer tool options, or by dragging the layer from the orbit view.

You can also push and pull a layer while looking through the camera. To do this, press and hold Alt to move a layer closer or farther away from the camera. Bonus trick: If you hold down Shift+Alt key while moving the layer, Moho will automatically resize the image to preserve it's relative scale. This way, you don't need to resize a layer as you move it closer or farther away from the camera.

Note that, just like in the real world with a real camera, you will not see the effect unless the camera is physically moving through the space. You will not see the effect when the camera is simply rotating like it's on a tripod, or when you animate the zoom on the lens.

Here's one more tip: When working with layers for 3D effects, it helps to split the screen into at least two views. Set one view to be the camera view, and set the second view to be the Orbit view or one of the other non-camera views.

Hope this helps.
djames.suhanko

Post by djames.suhanko »

Wow! Thank you again! Your tips are amazing, every time that you answer my doubts, I save the answer in a document. Always very rich content!
Djames Suhanko
www.dobitaobyte.com.br
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Many years ago, I animated a title sequence for a movie that made heavy use of 3D layers and camera motions in Moho. If you're curious, it's here...

Hearts Like Fists Title Animation

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
djames.suhanko

Post by djames.suhanko »

Of course I'm curious. Let me see that!
Djames Suhanko
www.dobitaobyte.com.br
djames.suhanko

Post by djames.suhanko »

Wow! I LOVE this animation style. I'm just trying to create animation like that!! uhhh!!!!!
Djames Suhanko
www.dobitaobyte.com.br
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

HLF was my second Moho animation production (after Scareplane,) and my first freelance job using Moho. I actually wound up delivering way more animated footage than I agreed to but the director and EP gave me total creative freedom to do things the way I wanted so long as I could deliver on time and under budget.

What I wanted at the time was to see if Moho could could be relied on for real world production work...and, surprise, it totally was! :D

Nowadays (almost a decade later,) I see small technical things in that animation that make me cringe a little, but it was a great launching point for all the fun productions I got to animate with Moho since.