Can I install an older version on Moho/AS on another PC?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drumlug13

Can I install an older version on Moho/AS on another PC?

Post by drumlug13 »

My son is interested in learning animation but I'm spending too much time in Moho he's not big enough to fight me for the computer... Yet.

So I guess the question is, after we buy Moho 13.5, can we install Moho 12 or AS 11 on another device or is that all still under one license?

I just don't want to go through the hassle of installing an older version for him, dig up the old registration codes etc. if we're still going to bump into the one user at a time rule.
Adam
SimplSam

Re: Can I install an older version on Moho/AS on another PC?

Post by SimplSam »

An upgrade is not a totally separate licence, and as per the Moho license - You can have multiple installs (3), but only one in-use at a time.

Moho 12.5 is discontinued and unsupported etc. etc. but I believe the license lives forever.

In a circumstance where you are the main user of 13.5 in the same household, and using an older discontinued version to teach a future junior Moho animator - you may still be violating the license terms in the strictest sense, but I would not expect the licence Police to be breathing too heavily down your neck.

I have multiple versions of Moho / AS (upgraded), and on very rare occasions they may operate simultaneously in parallel universes :!:
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

There should be a special provision for parents who are teaching their children animation with Moho. Perhaps something like. . .a child can have a duplicate copy of Moho Pro and run it at the same time as the parent, and it does not subtract from the parent's number of permitted downloads.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I just assumed that it was automated. I remember a while back when I bought a new computer, I tried to work with on something in the new PC but I ran into the license wall. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that was a different software because AS had the 3 installs rule too (I think)... Anyway for one of them I had to hook the old PC back up to deactivate it because I couldn't figure out how to do it online. But then again I just naturally seem to find the toughest route between points A and B. :?
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Each version is a separate license...right now I keep 12.5 and 13.5.5 on my computer but I used to keep every version from 9.5 up on the same computer.

You can install each version Moho on up 3 computers. If you want to put it on yet another computer, you need to deactivate it from one of the other 3 or buy another license.

If you want to deactivate on a computer you can no longer access, you can deactivate Moho from all your computers at once from the website. Then you can activate it on up to 3 computers you can access.

Note: Technically, you're only supposed to run it on one of the three at a time.

I normally use two activations; one for my desktop at home and one for a mobile when I'm away.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Nice. I think I have CDs or install files going back to Debut 7 when I first started. I'll probably just set him up with AS11 if that's still relatively stable. He can learn the basics there and If he wants to stick with it he can upgrade to Moho later.

I'd actually kind of like to open up AS Debut 7 to see how far it's come. I just remember that I immediately upgraded to pro. But I just ordered another disc from Amazon. So while I was waiting for it to get here I was doing all kinds of stuff like opening the training or library files and pulling all their layers out of the group folders, deleting them and saving the folders to start new projects with. Because I don't think group folders were a thing in Debut.

I thought I was being sooo sneaky. Sorry Mr. Clifton :twisted:
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Groups aren't technically a thing in Debut but you can use a Bone layer the same way--it even supports masking.

There are a few handy workarounds for getting 'Pro-only' features in Debut...I can go into that later.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

v11 is quite good already.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 pm Groups aren't technically a thing in Debut but you can use a Bone layer the same way--it even supports masking.

There are a few handy workarounds for getting 'Pro-only' features in Debut...I can go into that later.
Lol... That's right, it was Bones! Man that was a looooong time ago.
slowtiger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:32 pm v11 is quite good already.
Yeah I loved 11. I can't remember when each new feature came out but I think Smart Bones was in 11? More than anything I just want him to be able to learn the basics.
Adam
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

drumlug13 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:10 pm ... I can't remember when each new feature came out but I think Smart Bones was in 11? More than anything I just want him to be able to learn the basics.
Some historical references for Moho

https://www.animestudiotutor.com/history_of_anime_studio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moho_(software)
https://www.animestudiotutor.com/magazines

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam