Moho Discord channel?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Suomela

Moho Discord channel?

Post by Suomela »

Hey everyone!

I've been trying to find a Discord channel for Moho as it's a great platform to ask quick questions, share some work etc. No luck so far!

So my questions are:

1. Is there an official or non-official Discord channel for Moho?

2. If there's not, should one be created?

This forum is great and full of nice people but as more and more people have started using Discord, maybe a quicker and more chat-like platform would work nicely along with this forum? Before Moho I started digging into Toon Boom Harmony to use it with my work, and they had a nice Discord channel which was very helpful at the time. Same applies for After Effects and many other programs as well.

So, what do you guys think? Would it be nice to have two instead of one, as they don't negate each other out? :) I'm happy to help further if there appears to be interest but no knowledge.
JoelMayer

Re: Moho Discord channel?

Post by JoelMayer »

For some reason this seems to be a controversial topic. Why, i don't know especially since it can only be beneficial for the Moho community ESPECIALLY for new users like yourself and for old users like me who just doesn't like to communicate through mid 2000's style message boards anymore.

Nobody's saying Discord will replace this Forum or anything but for EVERY software i use daily i am in a official Discord channel and it's really great because you can ask questions faster and get them answered quicker and the hurdle to share some quick WIP stuff is much lower than logging into a forum, uploading an image somewhere and linking it etc. etc. vs. just drag and drop a screenshot into a window.

So yeah, i'm ALL for an official Discord channel run by Lost Marble and its community. Toon Boom has an extremely active and helpful channel i.e. as has pretty much every creative software.

It was "promised" earlier in the year but i guess the LM guys just didn't get around it yet but personally i can't wait for one to open up.

There seems to be an unofficial one floating around but it's pretty much dead and in my opinion there has to be an official server that is advertised on all social media channels to attract new users. A lot of people coming onto these Discords often times aren't even users yet and just want to talk to users to get more information about the software so it's a really good sales channel as well. There are really only benefits for a future-proof communication among users and even between users and developers. AND there is a younger generation who we should target much more and those use platforms like Discord.
chucky

Post by chucky »

https://discord.gg/n8UmtnJ4

This one was set up some time ago...
Been a bit distracted and never told anyone
You're welcome to ask questions there, maybe it can kick off
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

It's just a little bit complicated because Moho community is small compared to others so I don't really know if it's feasible to try to have active members in a lot of different platforms, specially those that really need the members to be present in real time to be able to help, like discord.

But nobody oposes to it. I understand your point, maybe if Moho officially tries to promote it it could get popular, but I'm not sure about that, because everytime this is asked we point to some existing Moho discord server and it keeps being ignored. While other communities like at least two different facebook groups are doing well without any official promotion. Again, it is difficult for a real time interaction platform like discord to be successful if the software's community is not that big.

This forum is officially promoted, yes, but I don't think that's the reason for people to be here. I think we find out that the best technical answers to our questions are here, written years or months ago by some professional animator. Because some community members really take their time to write in deep and very well written answers here sometimes with links, and images, sometimes even scripts are made as an answer to some feature requests, and I don't know if those members would take that much time elaborating an answer on discord knowing that it will only help a particular person for a particular day. But that's just my opinion.
toddwaddington

Post by toddwaddington »

An official Discord channel would be great, however, I’m sure it’s not something the owners/authors are interested in promoting because they’re too busy working in their respective professional careers, overseeing this forum, overseeing the retail end of Moho. Without a staff of people to support this marketing move—which is what it would be: it would need to be posted on the Moho website along with the Lost Marble link, etc. I can totally see why this is something that would be *officially* too much.

That said, there is no reason why a Lost Marble member couldn’t promote a Discord Channel. There are many Anime Studio/Moho users who have profited with their tutorial series (Udemy, personal websites) and I think that’s great. So long as no one is pirating the software and selling it I’m sure there are no legal problems with supporting an “unauthorized” Discord Channel (I’d recommend starting with Chucky’s link).

But, as pointed out, it would more readily be supported if it came directly from the owners.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Just an old guy is is fed up with FaceBook and would support any forum that gets us away from their “tyranny”, lol.
chucky

Post by chucky »

So I see people joining the discord, I'm sort of there and a bit busy.
David, the head honcho of mod @ the MohoShow discord is organising so people actually have access to all the rooms that are there.
I don't fully understand it but we have some cool features that are waiting to deploy over there.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

There was one started here: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 39#p197239
It doesn't look like it ever had enough traffic.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

chucky wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:06 pm So I see people joining the discord, I'm sort of there and a bit busy.
David, the head honcho of mod @ the MohoShow discord is organising so people actually have access to all the rooms that are there.
I don't fully understand it but we have some cool features that are waiting to deploy over there.
Thanks for taking initiative, Chucky! :)
Sandra HH

Post by Sandra HH »

chucky wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:45 am https://discord.gg/n8UmtnJ4

This one was set up some time ago...
Hey, does this Discord channel still exist? If so, do I need an invitation for it?

Thanks a lot Sandra
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hi There, it certainly does
It's pretty active at the moment too, the more the merrier.

More active experts would be nice too.
:mrgreen:
This forum is awesome, but you can't beat the immediacy and features on discord.
Although it's a bit weird how hard it is to find channels eh?

Here's a new permanent invite... anyone is welcome :D
https://discord.gg/d8zwJSR8v7
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Discord had become a thing over the last several years while I was more focused on my drywall and music. I knew the kids used it a lot for their game communities so I was a bit 'iffy' when Chucky invited me to Toon Feed but I really like the Discord format. Come on over
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

My child uses Discord to network with other artists and animators their age to collaborate on projects and it's worked out great for them.

I've been curious to check it out but I think it would become a big distraction for me, and I have so little time for myself as it is. (Same reason I avoid most social media platforms.) I might drop in occasionally to say hi though.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

...And just to be clear.... I'm not saying don't hang out here. I hope that didn't read like I was taking a shot at the forum. This forum has bailed me outta more jams than a Schmucker's factory.
Adam
chucky

Post by chucky »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:25 pm My child uses Discord to network with other artist and animators for their projects, and it's worked out great for them.

I've been curious to check it out but I think it would become a big distraction for me, and I have so little time for myself as it is. (Same reason I avoid most social media platforms.) I might drop in occasionally to say hi though.
Stop in and just say hi Dennis, it would be great to see you there,
I like this forum ... of course... but sharing images, screencaps and WIP is so immediate and if things get complicated... then you can go live.
I'm not much of an expert at using it but I think it has a lot of potential.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:51 pm There was one started here: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 39#p197239
I followed the link and discovered I've been registered since September 25, 2022. Wow. I remember trying to register but I had no clue I actually was.
I'm pretty happy with the MOHO forum. There are a ton of professional animators here, I'm always inspired by their work and I don't need a lot of feedback the way I used to.
Cheers, Larry