Does latest version of Moho Pro offer these?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

animdan

Does latest version of Moho Pro offer these?

Post by animdan »

Hello all. Need some info regarding what latest version of Moho Pro offers before purchasing. This info I cannot find on the web, but redirect me if you may where such info exists, or answer me here, thanks in advance. I wish to create 2D animation with bitmaps that will be imported from Photoshop files and animated (mesh, warp, bones, etc) in Moho Pro. Here are my questions:
  • Does MoHo Pro apply chroma keying to a video file containing a green or blue background (in order to reveal a Moho-imported bitmap that would be located behind the video)? If true, can MoHo Pro animate the video just like it can animate bitmap images? Results sought: Being able to add bones, warping, mesh, etc, to a video sequence at specific frames would be awesome indeed, alleviating the need to create from scratch the visual elements of the video before having to animatie them.
  • Does Moho Pro allow bitmap objects to be discontinuously linked and apply animation to all linked elements as a group without affecting unlinked bitmap objects located within such group? Results sought: Being able, for example, to animate a cyclist sitting, then standing on the pedals of his bike, IK style, without affecting the bike.
  • Does Moho Pro supply minimal tools for bitmap painting on a transparent layer and allow conversion of the drawing into vectors for masking and animation process? Results sought: Being able to vectorize the contour of bitmaps painted or imported and allow to animate the contour with control points or splines used for hiding or exposing certain parts of the contained bitmap.
Hoping that the above has favorable answers/suggestions. Thanks a lot for info.
SimplSam

Re: Does latest version of Moho Pro offer these?

Post by SimplSam »

1) I don't believe that Moho can exploit Chroma keying directly, but can use the Alpha channel in video as a mask. So you would need to convert externally before use in Moho.

2) You can use Bones to link independent Bitmap objects, and animate those objects independently of other Bitmap objects. This is a strength of Moho.

3) There are no Bitmap drawing tools in the current version of Moho. There is a Trace Image feature for converting Bitmap to Vector, but it is not particular good. You can either convert externally (3rd party), or I would suggest - use Create Smart Warp Layer to create a versatile vector Mesh which can be edited, and used to manipulate & mask bitmaps. There is a recent Webinar on the subject of exploiting Meshes for this purpose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hvYunOMTk&t=19s

You can also get a 30 trial of Moho at: https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/try
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
animdan

Post by animdan »

Thx SimplSam for swift reply.

1) Yes, then I could import a Quicktime video containing an alpha channel (mov) in Moho to achieve same results? If so, awesome!

2) Ok, so if Bones can link independent Bitmap objects, does that also mean [u]discontiguous[/u] ones? Being 2D animation, I'm seeking Bitmap object z-index animation (whether grouped or not) and layer position animation within the timeline - are both possible?

3) Create Smart Warp appears what I seek. I'll check the webinar, thx.

Unfortunately, my old iMac (2009) and sys (10.11.6) cannot handle latest version of Moho Pro, trial or total package. That is why I need to know a few things before updating my sys and purchasing Moho Pro.

Thanks for help.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

1. Moho works perfectly with alpha channels both in video and image files. There's some small points to think of:
- any straight line/image file border could create a visible line in certain circumstances, so make sure your PS artwork has some transparent pixels around everything, and preferably have 1px blurred outlines.
- the mystical "export with pre-mulitplied alpha/without" - I don't know if recent PS versions give you a choice about this, but this gets only important if you (like me) work with very soft outlines (clouds and such).

2. You need to separate parts in PS which you want to move independently in Moho.

3. No bitmap tools. However, you get surprisingly convincing results with vector brushes. I use them in combination with bitmaps and you can't tell which is which from the result.

Moho 13.5 works on Mac OS 10.15 and upwards.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
animdan

Post by animdan »

Awesome. Seems good so far. Vector "painting" that looks a good as bitmaps, even better! It's a good idea that MOHO Pro (MHP) doesn't supply painting sophistications as this can be done elsewhere, in order for MHP not to provide a cluttered interface and only concentrate on 2D animation alone (no 3D please). That's one of the main reasons - besides creating 2D bitmap animation - that I would buy MHP. Ok, time to shop for a relevant iMac. Thx for swift response.