Reference layer for selected shapes

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DollahTen

Reference layer for selected shapes

Post by DollahTen »

So I have recently stumbled on this helpful video about reference layers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfkYIZyFYoU&t=676s

Right now when we take as example the planet in the tutorial video, you can make multiple reference layers and hide shapes.
Then you can control all the points from the original layer.
But the moment Id want to for example add stars, not only I have to update all the reference layers, Id have to re-hide all those shapes.

I think it would be useful to be able to create reference layer out of selected shapes only, from the original layer, so when adding/drawing new shapes in the original layer, it wont affect the existing reference layers.
Greenlaw

Re: Reference layer for selected shapes

Post by Greenlaw »

When you add/remove points in a Reference layer you're changing the reason for it being a Reference layer, which is to be able to keep the points in sync with the original.

Maybe what you want is to just copy the selected paths to an empty Vector layer. Moho always pastes the selection to the same relative coordinates so the result should align with the original. This is essentially a modified 'duplicate' layer and not a Reference layer.

But if you're sure you want to animate a Reference layer with a 'different' drawing in it that has more or fewer shapes than the original, you can create the Reference layer, make your shapes selection with the Select Shape tool in the Reference layer, invert the selection (Ctrl+I), and then hide the selected shapes (Ctrl+Shift+H). This will make it appear you have fewer shapes in the Reference layer while preserving the synchronization benefits of using a References layer.

This of course assumes that every shape, hidden or visible, actually exists in the original layer, so be sure to add new shapes there and not in the Reference layer. You can hide the shapes in the original layer and reveal them in the Reference layer if you want it to appear you've 'added' the shapes to the Reference instead.

Hope this helps.
DollahTen

Post by DollahTen »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:18 pm When you add/remove points in a Reference layer you're changing the reason for it being a Reference layer, which is to be able to keep the points in sync with the original.

Maybe what you want is to just copy the selected paths to an empty Vector layer. Moho always pastes the selection to the same relative coordinates so the result should align with the original. This is essentially a modified 'duplicate' layer and not a Reference layer.

But if you're sure you want to animate a Reference layer with a 'different' drawing in it that has more or fewer shapes than the original, you can create the Reference layer, make your shapes selection with the Select Shape tool in the Reference layer, invert the selection (Ctrl+I), and then hide the selected shapes (Ctrl+Shift+H). This will make it appear you have fewer shapes in the Reference layer while preserving the synchronization benefits of using a References layer.

This of course assumes that every shape, hidden or visible, actually exists in the original layer, so be sure to add new shapes there and not in the Reference layer. You can hide the shapes in the original layer and reveal them in the Reference layer if you want it to appear you've 'added' the shapes to the Reference instead.

Hope this helps.
Yes, this is the method I'm doing at the moment. I'm selecting all shapes, deselect the ones I wanna keep visible, invert the selection and then uncheck fill and stroke. Hiding them with that shortcut doesn't seem to hide them in the render. Thank you for the tips
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

DollahTen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:18 pm Yes, this is the method I'm doing at the moment. I'm selecting all shapes, deselect the ones I wanna keep visible, invert the selection and then uncheck fill and stroke. Hiding them with that shortcut doesn't seem to hide them in the render. Thank you for the tips
Oh, shoot, you're right! I was so sure this option hid the shape from rendering. I wonder if this is a bug.

Well, another option is to simply kill the shape but keep the points. Not sure why I didn't suggest that first since that's what I do. :P

To remove a shape in the original or reference, select the shape with the Shape Selection Tools and press delete. Be sure you're using the Shape Selection tool because you want to delete the shape but keep the points and path. When you do this in the original layer, the Reference will still have it's shape and vice versa.

I think the reason I didn't mention this is because it's destructive in that you're actually deleting something from the project. But in practice, I guess it really doesn't matter because I do this all the time myself.

A non-destructive way is to apply a transparent Style on the shape you wish to 'hide'. Keep this in mind when you think you need to reveal the shape in the layer later.

Hope this helps.