Draw behind

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DollahTen

Draw behind

Post by DollahTen »

Hello, I work with vectors and the programs I use enable the option to draw shapes that get automatically moved to the bottom of the shape order.
I think this feature would be super useful in moho when drawing complex images.
So far the only ways I know how to move the shapes to bottom is either use the, select shape [Q], then hold shift and press down the arrow key... or have multiple layers.

Could you add to the freehand [F] tool a check box that lets you automatically move a new drawn shape to the bottom of the shape order?
Daxel

Re: Draw behind

Post by Daxel »

Yeah that would be nice to have when the drawing experience in general gets its long awaited overhaul. The brush has an option to draw behind, but if I remember correctly, last time I used it, it was buggy or maybe just confusing to me.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm ...The brush has an option to draw behind, but if I remember correctly, last time I used it, it was buggy or maybe just confusing to me.
Yeah, I believe the now defunct paint tools had that. But as mentioned elsewhere, the paint tools were too basic and buggy for production use. Hopefully, we'll see a better version paint in the future.

Freehand drawing in Moho always stacks new shapes on top, so to draw behind, you need to use a second lower layer. This is workable when you're mainly wanting to paint fills behind the strokes using the Blob Brush.

Chucky has an old Youtube video explaining a clever 'paint behind' workaround for FBF animation in Moho. From what I recall, he uses reference layers so you have synchronized curves to work from in every layer. Well, something like that...I'll have to rewatch the video myself because I don't remember all the details.

Here's the link to the video...

Frame by Frame Vector Freehand in Moho
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That said, I'd like to see Moho's Freehand tool adopt some of the behavior and features found in Adobe Animate. Adobe Animate isn't perfect either but I do like the freehand tools there.

For the most part, I think Moho's Freehand and Blob Brush tools have a lot of great features and they just needs to work a little better than they do now.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:01 am
Daxel wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm ...The brush has an option to draw behind, but if I remember correctly, last time I used it, it was buggy or maybe just confusing to me.
Yeah, I believe the now defunct paint tools had that.
I mean the brush we still have, the blob brush, it has a draw behind option.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh duh, you're absolutely right!

Thanks for catching that. I must have had a brain fart. :oops: