Music Video

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Music Video

Post by slowtiger »

Andrew Lagowski is a prolific musician since the 80's, and we just teamed up for a music video which I finished today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0KLCYC2lgc

All elements are short loops drawn in TVP except the dust, those are scans from a super8 film. I put them into Moho to add blur and varying opacity, then I did the bigger part of synchronizing in FinalCut. Originally I wanted to do that in Moho, but after adding all those Quicktime movies I couldn't get any useful playback, in no version on any machine of mine. Spatial animation is surprisingly easy in FinalCut, but it lacks animated blur for the elements. I guess most people would do this in AfterFX, or even script it in Processing or some other software, but I don't have the tools of those cool kids.

I'm quite happy with the organic look of it. What do you think?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Franky1966

Re: Music Video

Post by Franky1966 »

I like the hypnotic atmosphere of the music and the video represents that perfectly. But 3 minutes is (waaay) to long for me personaly. After 1 minute you've seen it all. There is no story that develops.
DK

Post by DK »

You captured the feel of the music extremely well Slow!
Cheers
D.K
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I liked it. Good fit between the music and the visuals. It was refreshing to hear something which didn't have a relentless beat, and which shifted subtly.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Franky1966: I agree that it's too long as a video - as a track, it's even a bit longer (>5 min), and just for listening that's OK and pretty standard in the field. I listen to stuff like that a lot, and or hours, but I don't do tracks like that myself because I find it a bit tedious ... my own stuff is a bit less repetitive, and shorter. (Listen to it at slowtiger.bandcamp.com!)

hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

reminds me of Graphic Scores ... where the art and the music can be just different views of the one entity...
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

It might be interesting some time to create a visualization in Moho where each instrument and vocal track is assigned to a different visual element that changes shape based on the amplitude or combination of amplitudes. You could use a mix of switch layers and bone scripts for it.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

MrMiracle77 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:29 pm It might be interesting some time to create a visualization in Moho where each instrument and vocal track is assigned to a different visual element that changes shape based on the amplitude or combination of amplitudes. You could use a mix of switch layers and bone scripts for it.
yeah -- certainly a feasible goal.

The inverse is also possible (but not in Moho) -- the visual element controls the sound e.g. (not my video)

There's also a program called PureData which was designed to create sounds. That has been extended to include graphic output (again, not my video but here's an example):
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course none of this is new. I remember seeing visualizations of Conlon Nancarrow's musik in the 2000's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow. They used the MIDI file to script animation in AfterFX. Another well-known example would be the music machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEXfqheV9Gg.

In essence, this is all straight mickeymousing: each note corresponds to one visual element, and vice versa. I tried to avoid this, there's only one element strictly tied to a sound: the small triangles, for which I used a sound controlled switch layer. Everything else I threw in quite improvised.

chucky

Post by chucky »

I really liked this, Slowtiger.
Much easier to watch than many non-abstract work.
Music was cool too, reminiscent of Aphex twin of old.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:15 pm Of course none of this is new. ...
Indeed .. it goes back to before any of us were around and was "revived" in the 1950s. More recently (21st century), with increasing IT capability, it has become a topic of much academic interest, attracting research funding from national and international bodies (e.g. EU's Horizon 2020).

Craig Vear is a current UK academic / composer who expounds on the blend of musical creativity, AI and animation (e.g. "Nautilus" (2022) a composition created using machine learning techniques and a Unity game engine).
pihms

Post by pihms »

Great work capturing the visuals to the sounds!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Nice integration of the music and animation. It's hypnotic!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@slowtiger, Meteoroids is mesmerizing! I probably could have stared at it all day long if it hadn't ended. Thanks for sharing!

@lwaxana, welcome back! Long time no see around here!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thank you, Greenlaw! I hope all is well with you! I have been focused on pixel art lately so haven't been using Moho as actively. But of course Moho and the Moho community will always be special. :D