Do not cycle

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jkoseattle

Do not cycle

Post by Jkoseattle »

Is there a way to tell Moho not to automatically cycle an animation and start over when it gets to the end?
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
synthsin75

Re: Do not cycle

Post by synthsin75 »

A script might be able to do that, but that's about it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just freeze the pose near the end of the cycle where I want it to stop, and then ease the motion into the next pose. Or are you talking about something else?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jkoseattle

Post by Jkoseattle »

I’m talking about when I just hit space to playback the entire movie. When it gets to the end, it automatically loops back to frame one and starts the video over. But in real life, this is one shot in a sequence of a longer movie consisting of many shots. I want to see Where this movie stops so I can envision the subsequent shot. But when it automatically rewinds, I can’t see it that way.

What I have been doing, is deciding where the movie stops, say frame 288, but then I tell the timeline to make the movie 350 frames. This sort of solves the problem, except I want to be able to quickly navigate to the very end of my movie, so that I can create “it needs to end up here” keyframes., but I can’t quickly navigate to the end of the movie with a keystroke ( mouse button actually) because that takes me to frame 350 when the key frames I need to make are at 288. So I always have to go to the end and then take another step to move the timeline to frame 288 so I can make the changes. And I often forget to do that and keyframes wind up at frame 350 which I then have to drag back to 288 and on and on. And all of this happens because simply because I can’t see what the end of the shot looks like during playback because it automatically loops back. t, it’s actually two seconds later. I just want Moho to run to the end where I tell it where the end is, and then stop at that last frame. I don’t want to have to keep looking down at the timeline so that I hit space at the exact correct point. That defeats the purpose of watching the movie for flow and timing, etc.
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, I see...you're talking about looping as a playback option, not how to stop Cycle keyframes. Yeah that does appear to be a missing feature.

For now, what you can do is Ctrl R-click the out point to go past the last frame in your render range. This will make your animation play out for a while and appear to not loop, at least until it hits the out point. Like this...

If you need a longer wait time, just set the out point really far down the timeline.

I know that's not exactly what you're asking for but maybe it will work for what you need right now?

I guess this never bothered me because, for me, the animatic dictates where the scene ends, and I export the animated footage to my video editor to see how it cuts with the other scenes in the production.

That said, looping is a common playback option in many programs, and it probably should be optional in Moho too.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jkoseattle

Post by Jkoseattle »

Got it, thanks so much. That will solve my problem, because it means I can hit a single keystroke (mouse button) to take me to the last frame where I can add key frames as needed, but during playback, I can have this outpoint thing which I have never heard of before, and, like you said, just stick it way out somewhere. Totally fixes it. I am assuming here that this outpoint thing means it can continue playback even after the last frame that will be rendered ultimately, yes?

But yeah, auto recycling during playback should be optional, indeed.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Jkoseattle wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:40 am ...but during playback, I can have this outpoint thing which I have never heard of before, and, like you said, just stick it way out somewhere. Totally fixes it. I am assuming here that this outpoint thing means it can continue playback even after the last frame that will be rendered ultimately, yes?
Yes, that's correct...it should play past the last frame in the render range. The in/out points (indicated by a green mark and a red mark) are for setting the preview range, which is independent of the render range (the jade color region.) If the markers are not active, Moho loops the render range; when the markers are active, Moho loops the preview range.

Here are the shortcuts for setting the render and preview ranges...

Preview Range (Red and green markers)
  • Ctrl LM-Click sets a green In marker
  • Ctrl RM-Click sets red Out marker
Render Range (The jade region when using default theme colors)
  • Alt LM-Click sets the start of the render range
  • Alt RM-Click sets the end of the render range
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davido wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:40 pm
Jkoseattle wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:52 am Is there a way to tell Moho not to automatically cycle an animation and start over when it gets to the end?
Just freeze all the post, where u want the circle to stop it will stop
He's talking about timeline playback looping, not keyframe cycling.