Automatic Lipsync Tips $ Techniques

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

digitalartguru

Automatic Lipsync Tips $ Techniques

Post by digitalartguru »

I know the Automatic Lipsync feature introduced in the latest update of Moho is not perfect, but are there any video tutorials on how to optimize it or work with it to get better results?

Thanks
“Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.”
– Norman McLaren
slowtiger

Re: Automatic Lipsync Tips $ Techniques

Post by slowtiger »

You mean the one where you throw a soundfile onto a switch layer and it selects mouths according to loudness? I've used this a lot this year and could write up some tips, it's not that hard.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Thank you for the comments slowtiger. Yes, but more advance tips if there is such a thing. I only found the feature release video on Moho 13.5.5 on YouTube that mentions the Automatic Lipsync briefly. I wonder if anyone uses it.
I know how to use it as a feature with a sound file, but the results are not that good at times. A lot of tweaking afterwards depending on the audio.
I was just wondering if there are any other ways to have a better workflow with the Automatic Lipsync feature to save time without having to tweak too much. Maybe there is no other way. I figure I check to see how everyone is getting along with this feature and to get everyones opinion on how they use.

Cheers!
“Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.”
– Norman McLaren
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Give me some time, I've already started to prepare some screenshots, maybe tomorrow I can post.

digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Thanks! I am looking forward to it.
– Norman McLaren
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK. The basic workflow is covered in the manual p. 248: you have a switch layer full of mouth shapes, you have imported a dialogue sound file, you assign this in the switch layer tab and voilà: mouth opens and closes according to sound. Let's explain this bit by bit.

The following example here works with bitmaps, but it's the same with mouth shapes in vector layers. As you see, my head isn't complete, there's holes for the eyes (much easier setup than masking), and the chin is not drawn completely. Why? Because the chin (and cheeks) move while talking.

For each head view (I had 5 different ones) there's one set of mouth shapes, named mouth_0 (the closed one) to mouth_3. Nothing fancy here, no phonemes, but this works great for average dialogue and realistic characters.

Put the mouth shapes into a switch layer like this:
- mouth switch layer
- - mouth_3
- - mouth_2
- - mouth_1
- - mouth_0
The closed mouth always goes to the bottom, the top layer is the one with the mouth widest open.

Prepare your sound files. They should be normalized, so the sound uses the whole dynamic range. The sound files for lip sync don't have to be the same you will use for the final mix: they could be layout sound (by a different voice actor) or something clean and loud especially for this automatic lip syncing, replaced by sound with effects in the final edit.

The manual says you can control the sound file volume (in the audio layer tab), but I never used that. Sometimes I had a problem with loud voices where the mouth was wide open all the time. To adjust this, I duplicated the mouth_1 layer 1 or 2 times - now the mouth_3 was hit less often.

You assign the sound file to the switch layer, hit OK, and it fills the timeline with keys. Usually you will need to adjust those a bit: erase some when the mouth gets to busy, assign a more closed one for consonants which are too loud, and so on. This shouldn't take much time. Take care to really have the mouth closed at the end of a phrase.

I often had sound files with different speakers, but that's easy to solve: assign the same sound to the mouth switch layer of all characters, then go into each timeline and erase the parts which are not for this character.

"But what about phonemes?" you may ask. Well, you have to decide: it's either phonemes or automatic, not both. Well ...

There is a way, but it makes your character setup more complex. See this:
- top mouth switch leyer
- - automatic mouth switch layer
- - - mouth_3
- - - mouth_2
- - - mouth_1
- - - mouth_0
- - phoneme mouth switch layer
- - - FV
- - - L
- - - O
- - - WQ
- - - smile
- - - scream

In this setup, you could assign a sound file to automatic mouth switch layer and a switch data file to phoneme mouth switch layer. You use the top mouth switch leyer to manually switch between those two sets. And you still can select special expressions like smile or scream.

This works fine with bitmaps and equally well with vectors. But with vector mouth shapes it's better to work with bones instead of switch layers.

If you have Moho Pro, you can use Smart Bones to control mouth movement automatically. I create a mouth action (from closed to wide open) and assign a smart bone to it. I import the audio as usual. Now I select that smart bone and select Script/Sound/Bone Audio Wiggle. Assign the sound file. Two more options: frame interval (I use 2, tha's good enough), and Max Angle. This one is kind of a volume control: 360 means full volume, 180 means half volume at the loudest part of the sound file. I use this to fine tune the mouth movements according to emotion.

cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

Slowtiger is spot on. I do the same thing. (And very much agree that a sound file with just the vocal track is best - music and other sounds in the mix can throw this off.)

Sometimes I'll throw a couple extra mouth shapes (smile, etc.) up at the top, where the loudest sounds would normally go. Then I'll do a manual adjustment if I want to use them.

If your character has a big beard/mustache, you might even get away with just a couple of mouths. : )
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

That's really helpful slowtiger.

A question just regarding using a smart bone dial to animate the mouth through the closed open spectrum and adding the bone wiggle script. Would you have the closed position at 0-1 in the smart bone timeline and fully open at frame 100 (if that is how long you want the action to last) in the smart bone action for the bone wiggle to select the appropriate mouth shape when auto lip syncing?