Not really a feature, but a crucial tweak for macOS

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

arglborps

Not really a feature, but a crucial tweak for macOS

Post by arglborps »

It bugs the hell out of me that the scrolling movement in the viewport has never been updated to work "properly" with natural scrolling on macOS. All the other apps I can think of on macOS respect the setting and scroll in the other direction.

And no, I don't want to have to switch the whole OS scrolling behaviour just so that only Moho it feels "right", I also don't want to have to install a mouse driver with per app settings that could fix this – I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse and I won't switch.

Also, when the app detects a trackpad (not a mouse) it should always use scrolling directions for "natural scrolling". If using the OS behaviour for scrolling is difficult at least a preference setting to reverse it would be nice.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

synthsin75

Re: Not really a feature, but a crucial tweak for macOS

Post by synthsin75 »

Years ago, I fought to keep a scroll direction option in Moho, but it was removed.
I've just learned that scrolling in numerical boxes increases in the wrong direction. PITA.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 am ...I've just learned that scrolling in numerical boxes increases in the wrong direction. PITA.
?? is that LM_Graphics:SetViewZoom(z)??
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 am
synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 am ...I've just learned that scrolling in numerical boxes increases in the wrong direction. PITA.
No, since that takes a real value, it's likely to set the workspace zoom, and the Moho API doesn't access mouse scroll.
I would expect a setting for inverted scroll to be a boolean.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:16 pm
hayasidist wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 am
No, since that takes a real value, it's likely to set the workspace zoom, and the Moho API doesn't access mouse scroll.
ah! cross-purposes / my misunderstanding ... what I thought you were saying was that putting numbers into a (e.g.) box with the "real" to be used in SetViewZoom worked "the wrong way" (e.g. 1 is a "big" area and "100" is small) -- but I guess what you're talking about is mouse-wheel scroll when in a numerical box - such as "number of sides on a polygon"...

the behaviour I have is that pushing the mouse wheel away from my palm makes the numbers go up .. which is what I think of as "intuitively correct" -- are you saying you'd prefer "pull wheel towards palm" to be "increase"?

(BTW we have an ongoing family "war" over what "go up" means when viewing a screen!!! I think of it as "move the scroll bar upwards" == "push mouse wheel away" and SHE (bless her!!!!!!) thinks of it as exactly the opposite!)

I am COMPLETELY in favour of having this as an option in preferences!!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:47 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:16 pm No, since that takes a real value, it's likely to set the workspace zoom, and the Moho API doesn't access mouse scroll.
ah! cross-purposes / my misunderstanding ... what I thought you were saying was that putting numbers into a (e.g.) box with the "real" to be used in SetViewZoom worked "the wrong way" (e.g. 1 is a "big" area and "100" is small) -- but I guess what you're talking about is mouse-wheel scroll when in a numerical box - such as "number of sides on a polygon"...

the behaviour I have is that pushing the mouse wheel away from my palm makes the numbers go up .. which is what I think of as "intuitively correct" -- are you saying you'd prefer "pull wheel towards palm" to be "increase"?

(BTW we have an ongoing family "war" over what "go up" means when viewing a screen!!! I think of it as "move the scroll bar upwards" == "push mouse wheel away" and SHE (bless her!!!!!!) thinks of it as exactly the opposite!)

I am COMPLETELY in favour of having this as an option in preferences!!
Yeah, just the mouse scroll increasing the numerical box value in the wrong direction...scrolling away/forward/up makes the numbers go down. It's odd because I don't have my system scrolling inverted. When I scroll forward in the workspace, it zooms out.

I use to agree that scrolling manipulated the scroll bar and scrolling forward pushed your view into the scene, zooming, but since we lost that option in Moho, I've given up trying to resist the programmers who insist that scrolling is like a touch screen, where the screen moves the direction you scroll and what was "pushing into the scene" is now "pushing the scene away".

I have very little hope that that option will come back. I tried very hard to save it, to no avail.

I guess I could go and add :SetWheelInc(-.01) to every numerical box, but I just don't have it in me to do that for every new version.
Kolisar

Post by Kolisar »

I am new to Moho and I am finding it extremely difficult to navigate as Moho, unlike ever other application, moves the cursor and not the image when using a trackpad.

If there is a way to fix this please explain how to do it.