Key Frame Changing Interpolation Types

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CharlieChompnChicken

Key Frame Changing Interpolation Types

Post by CharlieChompnChicken »

The key frame at frame 0 defaults to different interpolation type no matter what the default interpolation is set to. For example: If default interpolation is set to Linear, and I create a key frame of a point on a vector layer on frame 10, the frame on frame 10 will appear as a linear key frame, but the key frame that appears on frame zero will appear as something else. Usually it appears as smooth or Ease in/Ease out. This is not occurring on bones, only vector layers. I also have smart bone key frames in smart actions randomly changing from linear to smooth. It is only happening to actions that have cycles, and it usually happens to key frames that are in the middle of the action and always occurs on the key frames set at frame 0. No matter how many times I have changed them back, I eventually find them switched again. It is throwing off the timing of the actions.

This has been driving me mad. It is occurring on multiple files and I started to recognize patterns as described above. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and that did not fix it. I also uninstalled Moho 12.5 which also did not fix anything. I thought at first it was occurring to files that had been created initially on 12.5, but I then realized it was happening to new files from 13.5 also. There are also inconsistencies when I choose "copy previous key" as the default interpolation mode. For example: I will select a point on a vector layer at frame 10 and create a key frame. Both key frames at frame 0 and frame 10 will appear as linear, great. I then select another vector layer and attempt to do the same thing, and both frames appear as smooth. I can't figure it out, any help is appreciated.
hayasidist

Re: Key Frame Changing Interpolation Types

Post by hayasidist »

I haven't seen the random behaviour, but I do see the "frame 0" key is not the "default" (on bones and vector and ...) It always comes out smooth for me (so far!).

I'm on 13.5.5 -- which version do you have? .. there was a bug report around this issue but it was marked as fixed in 13.5.4. Whatever -- it's still not right -- I'll open a new one it and link to this thread.
Last edited by hayasidist on Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Isn't it irrelevant as to which interpolation frame 0 is set, because animation starts at frame 1 anyway and most people create a key there?

That said, it would be nice to be able to use frame 0 to set the default interpolation of this specific channel.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
CharlieChompnChicken

hayasidist wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:46 pm I haven't seen the random behaviour, but I do see the "frame 0" key is not the "default" (on bones and vector and ...) It always comes out smooth for me (so far!).

I'm on 13.5.5 -- which version do you have? .. there was a bug report around this issue but it was marked as fixed in 13.5.3. Whatever -- it's still not right -- I'll open a new one it and link to this thread.
I'm also on 13.5.5
slowtiger wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm Isn't it irrelevant as to which interpolation frame 0 is set, because animation starts at frame 1 anyway and most people create a key there?
I see your point. It makes a difference if you're aren't keying on frame 1 so it looks like that's the solution. I'm gathering I should have been doing that from the beginning, on smart actions also. Thanks you both.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm sorry I'm not sure why this happened in your file, but you can try this workaround.

- Go to view -> Timeline Channels
- Click the "All" button at the top of the Timeline Channels window and then OK
Now every single channel will be visible in the timeline, even if there are no keyframes (other than on frame zero)
- Select the layer or layers you want to fix
- Go to Animation -> Consolidate Layer Channels
Now you will see only one channel per layer. This channel is a summary of every single animated channel
- Right click over the keyframe on frame zero and set it to Smooth (or whatever interpolation you want for it)*
- Go to Animation -> Consolidate Layer Channels again to make the timeline go back to normal**
- Go to view -> Timeline Channels and set it back to "All Auto"

I hope this helps.

* If you selected more than one layer, then select all the keyframes on frame zero before right clicking
*Actually, I like to assign a short for this. Consolidating/Un-consolidating channels on the fly can be very useful
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

slowtiger wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm Isn't it irrelevant as to which interpolation frame 0 is set, because animation starts at frame 1 anyway and most people create a key there?
perhaps the "fix" could be to have the frame 1 keyframe automagically created as a copy of the frame 0 value(s) but with the correct interp when the first key is created on a channel??
CharlieChompnChicken

Víctor Paredes wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:58 pm
- Go to view -> Timeline Channels
- Click the "All" button at the top of the Timeline Channels window and then OK
Now every single channel will be visible in the timeline, even if there are no keyframes (other than on frame zero)
- Select the layer or layers you want to fix
- Go to View -> Consolidate Layer Channels
Now you will see only one channel per layer. This channel is a summary of every single animated channel
- Right click over the keyframe on frame zero and set it to Smooth (or whatever interpolation you want for it)*
- Go to View -> Consolidate Layer Channels again to make the timeline go back to normal**
- Go to view -> Timeline Channels and set it back to "All Auto"
:shock: Consolidate Layer Channels is under the "Animation" drop down menu, but this works! It's not a quick fix, but it is a fix. Thank you very much for sharing.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

CharlieChompnChicken wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:38 pm :shock: Consolidate Layer Channels is under the "Animation" drop down menu, but this works! It's not a quick fix, but it is a fix. Thank you very much for sharing.
My bad! I just fixed the original message.
I'm glad it worked for you :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Great tip Victor!

I use Timeline Channels to hide channels to reduce what I see as unnecessary screen clutter when I'm animating, but I never thought of using this window force Moho to reveal everything including un-keyframed channels to fix a problem. This will be useful to know for odd situations that may come up.

However, this reminds me of how much I'd like to see The Timeline window improved in a future release of Moho. Currently we have only three 'preset' buttons at the top that affects the window's settings globally; what I'd like to see is the same buttons added for each category.

For example, it's common for me to want to set all Color Bones channels to Off (invisible) but there is no way to do this except by clicking all 33 settings individually. Having the buttons here would reduce this task to a single click.

At the top of the Timeline window, I'd also like to see Save/Load buttons added so users can save and load their own presets. In another post I mentioned how I'd like to see Load/Save Settings buttons added through Moho where it makes sense. This will give users more freedom to experiment with different settings, easily return to preferred settings, and create custom settings optimized for specific productions.

Thanks for listening!