I Want to Change Direction

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

I Want to Change Direction

Post by 3deeguy »

After I looked at my latest animations I started to think they looked too ordinary. There's nothing distinctive about my drawing style.
I want to learn caricature drawing. :idea:
I would love to try a short animated clip on, say, somebody like Joe Rogan drawn in caricature.
Can someone share any ideas on how to go about learning the caricature art form?
Cheers, Larry
slowtiger

Re: I Want to Change Direction

Post by slowtiger »

I tried that since I was in my teens and never succeded. I can draw lots of stuff, but when it comes to people I always fall for generic comic shapes and characters. That said, I am quite good in imitating others or adapt their style for animation.

If you understand caricature as "the art of depicting a certain person so it's recognized by others", that's a high goal. I think it's less frustrating to aim for "being able to create distinctive characters". An exercise I gave my students may illustrate this:"choose a style, then draw a whole platform full of waiting people in that style. You'll have old and young, male and female and inbetween, thin and fat, rich and poor. Make them look as different from each other as possible, but still clearly sharing the same universe." I think thatt's an exercise you can do for yourself: experiment with different media and tools and styles, but always finish the whole group waiting for their train.

Also I found (on artist's blogs) that much drawing time goes into faces, but very often the poses are generic. So it's a good and proven practice to go outside and sketch the living.

And of course I recommend to use pencil and paper, and maybe brushes and ink, first, and only later, when you've settled on a style, convert this into digital.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
3deeguy

Re: I Want to Change Direction

Post by 3deeguy »

slowtiger wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:45 pm I think it's less frustrating to aim for "being able to create distinctive characters".
That is wisdom. In my imagination I always seen to stare at the top of the mountain...from the base of the mountain. The practical approach is to develop a style where all the characters are 'from the same universe' and then go from there.
I've learned some important concepts from you which have become a major part of my approach to animation. Thank you.
Cheers, Larry