Road map for Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: Road map for Moho

Post by Daxel »

Of what has been said, I really support vector drawing tools as a priority. And vector visual improvements to strokes, specifically the stroke bumps when we change the point stroke width:

I also liked the game engines (mostly Unity and Godot) support proposal very much, that could open a huge door because the gaming industry is growing each year and Moho is way better than Spine in my opinion.

The management improvements Greenlaw mentioned (actions as a priority there).

Reusability improvements are always super welcome, and implementing MR Transform Rig Tools script would be massive. And also the other reusability related scripts like DKroot's mirror points and swap points would be super nice to have and would enhance the strongest part of Moho that is eficiency in my opinion.

And I'm so happy with the recent focus on bug fixing and stability improvements. I would love to see even more, particularly fixing the reference corruption problem, the negative keyframes, and some inverted bezier bugs (Im still waiting on this one to be fixed before starting using bezier points on rigs viewtopic.php?t=32881&hilit=bezier+rotating+bone+bug)
ggoblin

Post by ggoblin »

sang820 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:28 am :shock: :shock: R&D direction, this is an expensive topic! If anyone can invest $50 million in Mike, I'm sure he'll sit down and talk to you about the direction of R&D. However, we are just moho lovers, we can only hope that Moho will get better and better, we can only make wishes---the rest is left to Mike.
Actually its not unusal for companies to share their road map of their next year, or their next release with their user base, without suitcases of cash having to be exchanged :D , for example Unity and Blender come to mind. Their openess is usually reciprocated with loyalty and trust amongst their users. But if the company is only two people than I can understand that perhaps at this time its simply not possible for them to share their road map with us - it probably just says 'survive!' on it, as it will take time for them to pick up the pieces left by the previous owners.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Daxel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:03 am Of what has been said, I really support vector drawing tools as a priority. And vector visual improvements to strokes, specifically the stroke bumps when we change the point stroke width:
This also annoys me a lot, and from my layman's point of view, it seems to me just an interpolation of values ​​(it should be linear but it has a curve, like it's smooth, if you know what I mean).
And also the other reusability related scripts like DKroot's mirror points and swap points would be super nice to have and would enhance the strongest part of Moho that is eficiency in my opinion.
Can you cite the source? I found it interesting.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

lucasfranca wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am
This also annoys me a lot, and from my layman's point of view, it seems to me just an interpolation of values ​​(it should be linear but it has a curve, like it's smooth, if you know what I mean).

And also the other reusability related scripts like DKroot's mirror points and swap points would be super nice to have and would enhance the strongest part of Moho that is eficiency in my opinion.

Can you cite the source? I found it interesting.
Yeah I also think those bumps could be easy to solve but I don't really know. I think it is necessary in any case.

Those scripts are here: viewtopic.php?t=28816&hilit=swap+points
Greenlaw just did a great job explaining them in this post: viewtopic.php?p=205374#p205374
sang820

Post by sang820 »

ggoblin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:10 am
sang820 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:28 am :shock: :shock: R&D direction, this is an expensive topic! If anyone can invest $50 million in Mike, I'm sure he'll sit down and talk to you about the direction of R&D. However, we are just moho lovers, we can only hope that Moho will get better and better, we can only make wishes---the rest is left to Mike.
Actually its not unusal for companies to share their road map of their next year, or their next release with their user base, without suitcases of cash having to be exchanged :D , for example Unity and Blender come to mind. Their openess is usually reciprocated with loyalty and trust amongst their users. But if the company is only two people than I can understand that perhaps at this time its simply not possible for them to share their road map with us - it probably just says 'survive!' on it, as it will take time for them to pick up the pieces left by the previous owners.
:shock: There are many things like that: you want A, but Mike wants B, you both have good reasons, but neither of you can convince each other, what to do? If you have a box of cash then you are likely to convince Mike (I guess 23333) if you don't have a box of cash then make a wish, it's easier
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

I'd like to see more of the tried and true, fully-tested user-created scripts becoming "official" features, approved by Moho and installed at start up. There seem to be too many times when the solution to a problem is to go download and install a third party script, when a user might prefer to just use a menu option. If it is a great script and it works well, make it a feature.

Count me as a vote for improving animation and art tools for the individual/small studio and not needing motion graphics so much. And NO to subscriptions. (I think that's all the voting...)
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

ggoblin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:31 am Going back in the forum 3-4 years I see active users posting on using Moho for motion graphics, but I don't see those users on the forum anymore. Perhaps they outgrew Moho in their needs for a more rounded all purpose animation solution and moved on?
FWIW, I used Moho for motion graphics when I was working on Fast & Furious Spy Racers. Sometimes Moho was used by itself for MG, but more often it was used to create elements I would bring into After Effects and combine with elements I created in AE and/or another program. In short, some types of visuals were easier to create in Moho and other types were easier in Ae (and I found some elements were easier to create in a 3D program.)

My philosophy: use the tool tool works best and quickest for the task at hand.
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

In regard to paying monthly for MOHO, no thanks. I am definitely a buy the software outright type of person. As much as I love Moho, I would probably switch to Toon boom if I had to pay monthly. I certainly wouldn't pay £30 per month! I also appreciate it when software has an upgrade price or is a buy once software like Clip Studio Paint, rather than having to rebuy each version, thus rewarding loyalty.

I agree with those who disagree with road maps, otherwise, we probably wouldn't have had the brave backward step of getting rid of the initial Moho 13 with bitmap inclusion. Which, I believe, was totally the right thing to do.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
PixelVector

Post by PixelVector »

I really think a road map is essential. It would be in the best interest of Lost Marble and the users of Moho to know which direction the software will be taking with updates / fixes / features and when we can expect them. There's so much competing software out there now like Grease Pencil, Toon Boom, Krita, Animate, etc. and Moho certainly does not have the drawing tools to compete. Even if you want to construct your vector layers in AI or Designer, there is no way to import into Moho without something breaking. Rigging only takes you so far. The bones are a great tool, but the lack of drawing / painting has made this software unbearable at times, and has had me considering the switch for a while now. This is just my opinion and I understand others disagree. I just believe a road map benefits everyone.
mrgozvn

Post by mrgozvn »

again to bump this.
But i think not only me really want to know what's LM staff doing ?. i mean we need near future of MOHO.
I hope next version of MOHO ( i guess Moho 14 ) will be stunning version of Moho.
Yeah. Moho should improve FBF system of them.
Ex. a good bitmap drawing -> that support FBF.
MOHO is good software. i hope and trust LM's staff.
mgo

Post by mgo »

Speaking of licensing options: there is a nice sweet spot between permanent licenses and monthly payments. Jetbrains, makers of the stellar IntelliJ IDE, offer a subscription model with yearly payments, where You get a perpetual fallback license for the exact version available at the time of your purchase. I find this hybrid model great: as a developer You commit to a steady upgrade cycle, which in turn guarantees revenues. For users it means You can have the latest and greatest at a reasonable price, and peace of mind since You have a permanent fallback license.

Apart from that, I trust the Makers of Moho to just make the product better, starting with fixing bugs, and making it as robust and fast as possible.
🚀
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

The biggest issue with the fallback licensing - is you typically need to downgrade at the point of fallback. Also it creates one hell of a nightmare for anyone trying to administer the licensing.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
mgo

Post by mgo »

And I actually realise how extremely useful the return of the bitmap drawing tools would be for me. Quickly skimming over older posts, I couldn't find the "Moho has new owners", but do I recall correctly that they plan to bring it back in a better shape?
🚀
Franky1966

Post by Franky1966 »

mgo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 am I couldn't find the "Moho has new owners", but do I recall correctly that they plan to bring it back in a better shape?
Nah, the new owners didn't said that in such words. That was more an outcry of wisfull thinking from some users.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Franky1966 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:54 pm
mgo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 am I couldn't find the "Moho has new owners", but do I recall correctly that they plan to bring it back in a better shape?
Nah, the new owners didn't said that in such words. That was more an outcry of wisfull thinking from some users.
Víctor Paredes wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 am Some more news about the beta:
As you know, we had to work over a previous version of the code in order to make it compatible with Big Sur and also to be able to work in an environment that allows us to work fast and add new features quicker.
To make this work, we had to remove the bitmap drawing feature from version 13 and bring the Actions window and the 3D options back to the way they worked before that version.
Our plan is to work in better drawing tools in the future, but we want to spend more time on developing them to be sure we can give you something powerful and useful.
We know this can be an issue for some users and we are sorry about it. It was a hard decision to make, but we really believe it’s the best for the future of Moho.

About 13.5, we are working hard to have everything ready soon. It has some big new features that make Moho more powerful than ever. I can’t say anything else for now, but I’m sure you will enjoy the new possibilities.

All the best,
Víctor and the Lost Marble team.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam