Fixed bezier handles when adding a point.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tlaloc58

Fixed bezier handles when adding a point.

Post by tlaloc58 »

I'm trying to understand all the features in moho, and when adding points (Add Point tool) you have a button to activate Fixed Bezier Handles. My problem is that I don't see any difference when adding points and activating or deactivating this setting. Now the Transform Points tool has this setting as well, and with that I can see it works as described. But in the Add Point tool doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm wondering if this is a bug, or I'm missing something.

Thank you. I might add a video later.
Daxel

Re: Fixed bezier handles when adding a point.

Post by Daxel »

It works as intended. On the add points tool, it fixes the bezier of the adjacent points of the newly added point, so that this added point doesn't affect their bezier handles at all. The default behaviour, with fixed beziers off, is that a newly added point will affect the beziers of the adjacent ponts to make the curve more smooth automatically.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Fixed Point essentially locks the points you're not currently editing. When this is disabled, editing a point can affect the curvature of the points on either side of that point.

For the most part, I leave Show Bezier Handles disabled. Bezier makes it easier to draw specific shapes but it can behave unpredictably when deformed. There are ways to prevent or at least minimize the issue but I find it easier to just avoid it when I'm drawing shapes that will be deformed. Note that once you touch a Bezier handle, you've activated Bezier mode for the shape. To reset it as a regular Moho point, you need to select the affected point and set it's curvature to Smooth or Peak. Then disable Show Bezier Handles and edit the points as normal.

When I do use Bezier mode, it's typically for non-deforming drawings. I may still use Bezier editing in a character rig but only when I'm pretty certain it's not going to cause a problem for me later.

Note: I've occasionally seen a bug in Moho where it displays Bezier Handles but behaves like I'm editing regular Moho points. You know this has happened when you see the handles but can't edit the handles like normal, only move the points. I believe this is a preview error, and when it happens, quitting and relaunching Moho might correct this. (Let me check my notes...I'm not 100% sure it's quitting that fixes this issue.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I launched Moho to check what I wrote above and, coincidentally, I ran into that bug I mentioned. The fix for this is the reset the curvature of the points and then you should be able to edit the Bezier handles as normal.

ATM, I'm thinking what might cause this error is a third party Curvature tool mod I use that has the Bezier buttons in its tool options, and Moho be getting confused about the current state of Show Bezier Handles.

If you don't have this mod installed, you might not see this bug. (I need to investigate this further.)

(Edit: Yeah, I think I can confirm that Moho 13.5.x isn't liking something about this mod.)
tlaloc58

Post by tlaloc58 »

Thank you for your responses. I now have figured out that the setting of Fixed Bezier Handles in Transform Point, and Add Point is actually one setting for both. If you change the setting in one, it changes the setting in the other tool. So only when you edit the points is possible to see the effect.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, exactly!

Side comment: that's what the mod I described is supposed to do but in Moho 13.5.4 it seems to get confused. I think the problem is that I might not have the latest version of the mod installed on this computer, and the latest release should fix this problem.

If you're curious about using this mod, it's here....

https://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic. ... od#p198802