Animating Particle Layer Parameters in Moho

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mediac

Animating Particle Layer Parameters in Moho

Post by Mediac »

Hi All,

I hope you are all well and safe.

I have been looking for information regarding the animating of particle layer parameters.
Back in 2013 it seems this was not possible, apart from simply turning them on and off.
I understand that you are also able to animate the particle vectors/ images themselves, a powerful feature no doubt, though I find this a little hit and miss when accuracy of timing is an issue.
Now, seven years later, I am wondering if this is an area Lost Marble is willing to look into.

Thanks,
Tom
Greenlaw

Re: Animating Particle Layer Parameters in Moho

Post by Greenlaw »

Nah, the Particle Tab properties remain more or less unchanged and are non-keyframe-able in the latest. You can keyframe animated transforms of the particle layer or the sprite layers themselves, both of which does affect the particles over time, but that's pretty much it for keyframing particles. For anything more advanced, I like to use a particle system in a compositing or 3D animation program and apply it to my Moho animations.

Hopefully, we'll see some love in this area in the future (but, for me personally, I'd rather see more work done for the drawing tools.)
Mediac

Post by Mediac »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:46 pm Nah, the Particle Tab properties remain more or less unchanged and are non-keyframe-able in the latest. You can keyframe animated transforms of the particle layer or the sprite layers themselves, both of which does affect the particles over time, but that's pretty much it for keyframing particles. For anything more advanced, I like to use a particle system in a compositing or 3D animation program and apply it to my Moho animations.

Hopefully, we'll see some love in this area in the future (but, for me personally, I'd rather see more work done for the drawing tools.)
Thanks for the information, just need to wait and see. :D
I guess I want it all, Moho is such a powerful program already though...one stop shop please...
Would love to see the particles affected by physics also.

I do find the drawing a little less than intuitive, having spent a lot of time using vector programs.
I am constantly frustrated by the inability to select multiple layers and edit them all at once when needed.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Mediac wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Would love to see the particles affected by physics also.

I do find the drawing a little less than intuitive, having spent a lot of time using vector programs.
I am constantly frustrated by the inability to select multiple layers and edit them all at once when needed.
I agree! I'm a bit spoiled by particle systems available in compositing and 3D programs, and would like to be able to do more advanced particle animation directly in Moho too.

The point-by-point vector drawing tools in Moho are actually pretty good once you get used to the workflow. It can be a little tricky determining when best to use Bezier points and when to avoid them. For most users, I recommend sticking with regular Moho points because Bezier can get weird when being deformed with bones or when you have conflicting actions. These type of errors are easier to avoid when using regular Moho points. (I should do a video about this.)

The drawing tools that fall short for me are Freehand and Blob Brush. These tools are nearly there but currently generate too many errors. If these two tools could work reliably, I'd be using Moho's FBF system routinely.

For editing points in multiple layers at once, there is a useful Magnet Tool mod by A. Eseeva that can do this here...

https://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_magnet

It even works with layers nested inside child groups!