Switch layer interpolation with mesh warp image layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hayasidist

Re: Switch layer interpolation with mesh warp image layers

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:12 am Stoopid, quick example.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/u93ifoyk ... c.zip/file
I've been getting errors trying to download this ... "download1334.mediafire.com is not responding" ... tried over the last 3 or so hours - same issue each time.. obviously others are not seeing this - wondering if it's an issue with US-UK traffic?? (my own mediafire account is working ok!) Any ideas??
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:36 am WOw, what a great idea, using one image and moving it...
Very clever Wes.
Greenlaw wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:06 pm Finally got to look at the project file. Yes, that's a very clever trick! :D
Just ended up being the fastest way to do it.

hayasidist wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:37 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:12 am Stoopid, quick example.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/u93ifoyk ... c.zip/file
I've been getting errors trying to download this ... "download1334.mediafire.com is not responding" ... tried over the last 3 or so hours - same issue each time.. obviously others are not seeing this - wondering if it's an issue with US-UK traffic?? (my own mediafire account is working ok!) Any ideas??
I've always had problems with Mediafire, but FileDropper (that I usually use for one-off examples) now requires an account. I often have to reload the Mediafire page to get the download to start.
But I'll just email you the file, Paul.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Please email to me also Wes?
metalshtorm at Gmail
DK

Post by DK »

Nice Wes. Just looking at it, specifically between frames 10 and 12, there are some ugly looking frames, probably un noticeable in real time. I guess it's what you expect from interpolation of a single image.
Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:16 am Nice Wes. Just looking at it, specifically between frames 10 and 12, there are some ugly looking frames, probably un noticeable in real time. I guess it's what you expect from interpolation of a single image.
That's more of an artifact from me making it so quickly. If I'd added one more horizontal line in the mesh grid, it wouldn't stretch the bottom teeth in some of the tweens.
Like I said, stoopid and quick...which is why I'm not hosting the file permanently.
DK

Post by DK »

Ahh...but I am merely knit picking. it's brilliant!!!!
D.K
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:24 am Try this one: https://www13.zippyshare.com/v/RvNKmlVV/file.html
getting an error 403 from that one! but the email worked fine. Thanks.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:24 am Try this one: https://www13.zippyshare.com/v/RvNKmlVV/file.html
getting an error 403 from that one! but the email worked fine. Thanks.
Man, sounds like UK ISPs really sucks. Hopefully Australia (where Madrobot lives) is a bit better.
Trying another host: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ph2ohj
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Thankyou Wes! I got it :)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:27 pm Man, sounds like UK ISPs really sucks. Hopefully Australia (where Madrobot lives) is a bit better.
Trying another host: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ph2ohj
could be my security settings, but that one just pushes up an advertising screen and tries a pop-up which gets blocked (by MS Edge's pop-up blocker)...
DK

Post by DK »

That last link threw up this warning from AVG.
D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes just a little attention to the mesh would fix those distortions, that doesn't change the proof of concept being completely viable.

I realised that this workaround ( using one image to force interpolation to work), may also work with a PSD with the phonemes on different layers.
Each actual switch image could be references of that PSD with a different visible phoneme layer.
Maybe that would allow the addition of new phonemes and remove the necessity to translate the image.

I think there is a bump in the road though.

I don't think a smart mesh for a head turn/ tilt will have any effect on the smart meshes in the switch group, which will break the potential of this to work as brilliantly as it could do.
I think it would take a couple of changes to the way switches work to pull off a production well with this method.
  • Meshes inside switch groups need to be able to be effected by smart meshes outside the switch group.
  • Bonus feature...Interpolation types. It would be so great to have Bezier motion paths available to the switch keys to do this Stop Mohotion technique
I might have had another idea about this, hmmm seem to have forgotten. :?
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Wholeheartedly agree with this Chuck, I need some degree of head turn for versimilitude or everything will be locked down like Tigtone and kind of defeat the purpose.
chucky wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm
  • Bonus feature...Interpolation types. It would be so great to have Bezier motion paths available to the switch keys to do this Stop Mohotion technique
Quoted for emphasis. I'm wanting to establish very fast lipsync workflow, interpolation types on the keys would allow a clean up pass banging into the big vowels and so on by adjusting key types. As you say bezier even better, hard run into AAHH and slow out would be straight forward. And doing it on the keys means your lip sync cleanup isnt a deep dive into the timeline trench, adjustment keying, fiddling about moving keys, messing about endlessly - I really want to avoid that.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm Yes just a little attention to the mesh would fix those distortions, that doesn't change the proof of concept being completely viable.

I realised that this workaround ( using one image to force interpolation to work), may also work with a PSD with the phonemes on different layers.
The single, duplicated image isn't necessary. Just the help me set up the example quickly. The same technique works fine with multiple different images. Just a matter of the mesh morph quality leading into the hard image switching.
I think there is a bump in the road though.

I don't think a smart mesh for a head turn/ tilt will have any effect on the smart meshes in the switch group, which will break the potential of this to work as brilliantly as it could do.
I think it would take a couple of changes to the way switches work to pull off a production well with this method.
Yeah. First thing I tried was placing a new turn/tilt mesh in the switch, so it could control the nested meshes. But if you select it, you can't see your active switch...and what this mesh is doing to it. Then I tried putting a reference of an external mesh in the switch, so you could see the mesh and what it's doing to the active nested switch mesh. But then switch interpolation of those nested meshes just quits working. Looks like it's an either/or situation ATM.

So it seems which switch group would needs its own turn/tilt mesh controlling its interpolation mesh. This seems to work, and as long as you don't mind setting up the turn/tilt for each switch subgroup, you could then control these by smart bones. Again, excuse the hasty example:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... R1aCoWrV90