Bind point to TWO bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DonSphinx

Bind point to TWO bones

Post by DonSphinx »

Is there a way to bind a single point to 2 bones?

I need to get the approximate angle between two bones' angles to affect a single point. :roll:
synthsin75

Re: Bind point to TWO bones

Post by synthsin75 »

You'd need to use Bone>Use Selected Bones For Flexibinding, make sure the strength region of the two bones are equally covering the point, and then maybe point bind any other points you don't want affected to other bones.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If the point is in the knees or elbows, I like to use a 'knee' or 'elbow' bone that has a constraint to rotate it half the distance as the lower limb. Then I point bind the inside and outside point of the joint to this bone. This way, the joint holds its volume when its bent. This is simpler and usually cleaner than setting up a Smart Bone action to correct the joint deformation. (This is a trick I learned from Victor a while back; somewhere I believe he has a video explaining it.)

After the joint is setup, I use Shy Bone on the 'knee' and 'elbow' bone to hide it because I don't want the animator to ever touch this bone.

If the joint is fairly straight, you might consider using Smooth Joint. This is very simple and it introduces a fun way to 'spin' your limbs. You can see this in action in the 'Puss In Boots' footage I animated a few years ago: 'Puss-In-Book' Interactive Episode
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

This sounds like the old "mandcon" rig. It's discussed in this video at 19:33 .
Thread here.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's very interesting! This is similar to what I do but more complex...I only use a single bone and I either don't bother with the overlap lines or I use a different method for that. I'll have to try this variation.

Thanks for sharing this tip neeters_guy!