Snowfall without soft focus effects?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

Snowfall without soft focus effects?

Post by jahnocli »

I wonder if anybody can help. I need a variety of snowfall effects for some comic frames, and the inbuilt Moho 'snow' script is remorselessly soft-focus(!), which just looks wrong in this context. I've tinkered about with the lm_snow.lua file, but I can't get the damn thing to give me sharp=edged snowflakes...could anyone tell me which lines to butcher/add to/erase/amend..?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SimplSam

Re: Snowfall without soft focus effects?

Post by SimplSam »

jahnocli wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 pm I wonder if anybody can help. I need a variety of snowfall effects for some comic frames, and the inbuilt Moho 'snow' script is remorselessly soft-focus(!), which just looks wrong in this context. I've tinkered about with the lm_snow.lua file, but I can't get the damn thing to give me sharp=edged snowflakes...could anyone tell me which lines to butcher/add to/erase/amend..?
You can use the Snow script, then in each of the layers inside the created Particle layer - you will find a Shape. You can then change or remove the Shapes' Soft Edge effect properties.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I tried that, it didn't work. But each flake's 'Motion Blur' tag has the 'sub-frame motion blur' attribute checked (and it's greyed out, so I can't get at it), and the '3D Options' tag has 'Toon Shading' enabled, which is also greyed out. Couldn't see any direct reference to these in the script, so I'm wondering what to do next..
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Can't you just replace the contents of the particles folder with your own snowflakes and correct settings?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'll try that - thanks Slow
EDIT - It worked; I kinda assumed that any added images would take on the characteristics of the old images, but that isn't the case. So thanks again, slow (and simplSam too!).
Last edited by jahnocli on Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

jahnocli wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:39 pm I tried that, it didn't work. But each flake's 'Motion Blur' tag has the 'sub-frame motion blur' attribute checked (and it's greyed out, so I can't get at it), and the '3D Options' tag has 'Toon Shading' enabled, which is also greyed out. Couldn't see any direct reference to these in the script, so I'm wondering what to do next..
OK - Just for clarification here. Each 'flake' is just a regular vector layer. Additionally the reason sub-frame and toon shading are greyed out - is because they are both disabled. i.e. If you clicked "Motion Blur on", then you could also untick sub-frame motion blur, but you don't need to that - because it is not in use anyway.

Looks like the other thing you need to change to make it look less soft is the Shapes' color opacity.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
BeeListener

Post by BeeListener »

jahnocli wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 pm I'll try that - thanks Slow
EDIT - It worked; I kinda assumed that any added images would take on the characteristics of the old images, but that isn't the case. So thanks again, slow (and simplSam too!).
Thanks very much for getting this discussion going, Jahnocli. I have be fretting over precisely the same issue today. Will try substituting my own snowflakes.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Heh, no problem! I've taken plenty from this forum, it's good to give something back...