Contest Rules

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

kdiddy13

Contest Rules

Post by kdiddy13 »

Note: These rules are now outdated and only kept up as historical reference. Please seek out the rules for the current contest you are entering.

Moho's First Ever Moho Contest!

Theme: 5
To celebrate the new release of Moho 5, the theme will be "5". As in the number 5, "Give me 5", "Take 5", 5 ninjas, 5 Days, etc. Whatever you do with the number five is up to you, your animation should have something to do with five. It can be obscure or obvious, we may ask for an explanation afterwards, but just as long as it has to do with 5.

Rules:

1. Have fun! This is primarily a contest to show off how creative you all are. How creative can you become with the theme? Can you make us all laugh? Can you make us all cry?

2. You must use Moho for a significant portion of the project. By significant, I mean that the majority of character animation, camera work and SFX (preferably all) be done in Moho. Some exceptions to this would include, importing artwork from external sources (illustrator files, images for backgrounds or cutout/warp animation). You can use a 3d program for background or models. You can use a sound and editing program or Flash to piece it together. You can use a compositing program to "sweeten" the look or put pieces together. But again the focus is on using Moho and seeing just what we as artists can get it to do. If it's questionable how much Moho was used, we may ask you to provide a file to prove where the work was done.

3. You don't need to own Moho. Moho provides a free fully functional demo version of the software. The only difference between the full version and the demo, is the rendered watermark (or black and white in Flash) on the end result. The judges will not take away points for anyone that uses the demo version.

4. There will be 4 categories to compete for:

Technical Achievement in Moho - just what did you get Moho to do. Quality of animation, use of particles and bone dynamics, 3d, etc. This is a judgement on the look of the animation. You can use some or none of the features that makes Moho so special. Pay attention to sound work, editing, and cinematography. This is the "Prettiest" award. Just make it look AWESOME!

Best Representation of Theme - How creatively did you use the theme in doing your animation? Was it clear, suprising, or witty?

Audience Choice - Yup, it's a popularity contest. The polls will open and the viewers choose their favorite animation (one vote only please).

And the grand prize: Best Animation - What film did the best job in making a well thought out, entertaining animation? What animation left us thinking the longest about it? Artistry, storytelling, technical achievement all way into this category.

5. The judges for all of the categories, with the exception of the Audience Choice Award, will be a independent group of industry "professionals" and enthusiasts. They have no contact with the Lost Marble Forum, so will be unswayed by whatever arguments/discussions have taken place on this forum.

6. The user poll will open within a day or two of the submission deadline and remain open for one week. Please only one vote per member.

7. The end animation will be no longer than 2 minutes long. You can do an animation as short as 1 sec, but as soon as the 2 minute mark hits, the judges will stop watching. This includes titles.

8. Due to legal issues with copyrighted materials and the complexities of release forms, it's been decided that in order to submit an animation you will need webspace to host your film for the duration of the contest (about 1-2 weeks depending on the Audience Choice poll timeframe). There are a number of free web hosting sites available. You could also ask around on the forum if someone would be willing to host your masterpiece. The codec (compression scheme) is up to you, just try to choose one that the majority of vieweres will be able to see. Flash, Quicktime, and Windows Media are probably you're best choices.

9. The deadline to submit is November 30, 2004, 11:59 pm GMT. You will post your link on the Lost Marble Forum Contest page, with the heading "Moho Animation Contest Entry: 5" You can submit earlier, but if the clock says your late, you won't be considered in the contest voting. No exceptions, it isn't fair to the people who did get it in on time (not even if your dog eats your floppy disk).

10. The prizes will be bragging rights and as of yet to be designed nifty Avatars to use on the Lost Marble forum. Other prizes may become available as time goes on.

11. Working in groups is allowed, you'll just have to share the prizes and bragging rights.

12. Again, have fun!

If you have any questions or concerns please PM kdiddy13.
________
Rebel
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
kdiddy13

Rules addendum

Post by kdiddy13 »

It was brought to my attention that I forgot to mention whether you can enter mutiple times (thanks for the question spasmodic_cheese). While I think we would encourage quality over quantity, that doesn't mean that quantity excludes quality. So, if you are so enthusiastic about this contest that you can't help but animate a bunch of animations then I'd say go for it. However, we will have to limit you to one prize (no need to be greedy).

Also, don't use this as an excuse to make a 20 minute epic and break it into 20 one minute shorts. The 2 minute limit for the film still applies. You can serialize (use the same characters and settings), but not sequalize (continuing story across several animations). This subtle difference will be up to me and the judges as they will be aware of the rules as well.
________
THE SIMPSONS ADVICE
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanleth

Post by vanleth »

Will the final result be judged on a rendered Movie or Flash?

Also will it be possible for others to watch the contesters in Moho, so we all can learn something from them?
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

this may be abit presumptious of me, but the final format doesnt really matter providing you can give instructions on how to view it if you using a weird codec.. and since all users must put it up on their own webspace they reserve the right to show as many or as little people they want.

i think most people will just post a link up here to their work for anyone to see.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I didn't mean to suggest that you needed one codec over another. I was just suggesting that you try to stick to a more popular format so that more people can check out your films. I will make every attempt to show your film to the judges, but if it remains unviewable after repeated attempts, I may not be able to show it to them. I'll try to contact you first before giving up.

And of course, you can show whomever you want your film. You retain all rights to distribution and display (that was one of the big legal morasses I wanted to avoid by having you host your own films). Entering the contest is merely giving us permission to view it.
________
NO2 VAPORIZERS
Ric_535

Post by Ric_535 »

can we create a work in progress thread? or do we just submit the final entry at the end of the deadline?
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

can we create a work in progress thread?
Absolutely! The primary goal of the contest is to increase the community and knowledge base of Moho. Please feel free to post any work in progress that you have going on. Ask for help, opinions, or just try to intimidate the competition! :D

Also, feel free to ask for technical advice, team members, or web hosting.
________
Hydrocodone rehab advice
Ric_535

Post by Ric_535 »

Thats great! - where should we start a thread, in this animation contest subforum? or the "share your work" subforum,

Thanks, Ric
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

If it's specifically for the contest, you'd probably get the best results in this forum. Any other forum is definitely open for discussing technical, "show your work", etc. as well.
________
Girlfriends pics
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"Please feel free to post any work in progress that you have going on."

And don't forget to add the Moho files. I'll be downloading all WIP entries a week before the deadline and copy/paste all the best bits of every animation into my entry. And then I call it an "hommage" and I'll be the Quentin Tarrantino of animation... :wink:

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
kilerant

Post by kilerant »

don't you need the source files of the animation?
how can i prove that it's made in moho and not in toon boom, flash, toonz, or other program???
thanx[/b]
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

don't you need the source files of the animation?
how can i prove that it's made in moho and not in toon boom, flash, toonz, or other program???
Well, I suppose we'll cross that bridge if we need to. We may ask for proof (like a source file from a scene, probalby not all of them), but I think in general we'll be trusting people that they stick with the intent of the contest. I imagine that many will have an obvious Moho "look" to them as there are some FX that would be very difficult to emulate in another package.

Basically, I'm working on the general platform of trust.
________
AIRSOFT GUNS
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

"8. Due to legal issues with copyrighted materials and the complexities of release forms, it's been decided that in order to submit an animation you will need webspace to host your film for the duration of the contest (about 1-2 weeks depending on the Audience Choice poll timeframe). There are a number of free web hosting sites available. You could also ask around on the forum if someone would be willing to host your masterpiece. The codec (compression scheme) is up to you, just try to choose one that the majority of vieweres will be able to see. Flash, Quicktime, and Windows Media are probably you're best choices."

I just read the rules once again, and my eyes fastned at this part. Is it necessary to have a direct link to your file or can you have a wwebsite, like the one i'm using (http://www.tiomeg.com) which makes you go through a short and harmless process before actually downloading the file.
(The process is entering a username and a password).
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Is it necessary to have a direct link to your file or can you have a wwebsite, like the one i'm using (www.tiomeg.com) which makes you go through a short and harmless process before actually downloading the file.
(The process is entering a username and a password).
This is fine. A number of people are doing this as well. You'll of course need to provide the username and password. As long as you've found a way for the viewers to get to it via the web (preferably a HTTP solution as opposed to a complex FTP one).

Of course, it's up to you to ensure that people can actually view it. Around the time of the deadline (it may not be precisley, as I'm commuting around then) I'll notify anyone I'm having trouble getting to.
________
JAINISM FORUMS
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimble67

Question about length

Post by grimble67 »

How rigid is the 3 minute length maximum? I have a cartoon around 3 and a half minutes I would love to enter, but I can't see a way to trim the length.