Pixelmator file import

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cgrotke

Pixelmator file import

Post by cgrotke »

With all the talk of support for PSD files, I'd like to request support for Pixelmator files. It's an excellent Photoshop alternative that has layers and could, I imagine, be imported like a PSD file without much effort.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
synthsin75

Re: Pixelmator file import

Post by synthsin75 »

I seriously doubt they'd consider supporting a format that doesn't work on both Mac and PC.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

cgrotke wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:52 pm I imagine, be imported like a PSD file without much effort.
Actually, my understanding is that figuring out how to support layered PSD in Moho was very complicated...prior to 13.5.2, it was too easy to break the imported layers by changes made to the original file in Photoshop.

The latest version of Moho goes a long way to making layered PSD more useful and predictable but it also took a long time to get here.

It would probably make more sense if Pixelmator could adapt to exporting layered PSD. (If it doesn't already do that.) Many other layered paint programs support layered PSD export which should work well with Moho. (That said, I still need to check Krita's PSD compatibility with Moho 13.5.2.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I did a quick search and it sounds like Pixelmator supports PSD...

Pixelmator Pro 2.1.3 brings huge improvements to PSD support
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

Right... Pixelmator can import and export PSD files, so I thought if it wasn't too much trouble maybe Moho could support .pxd files if they are super similar or easy to translate.

I wouldn't want anyone to go through a lot of effort, but if it was something easy it to do, I'd use it and I bet it would be appreciated by at least a few other Mac folks. If it was a big headache I'd say it wouldn't be worth it. We can export as PSD and go from there, as always...

Background on this: I was a longtime Photoshop user (since about 2.5 or so) and gave them up when they started charging monthly. Pixelmator has been my replacement ever since, and they, like Moho, do regular updates and improvements and seem to love what they do.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I understand, but I don't think that will happen, especially since Pixelmator already supports PSD.

Good or bad, PSD has become a de facto universal image format and is supported by pretty much any respectable image editor, so adding layered PSD support to Moho was a very wide net to cast. But, as mentioned, it took a long time to get it to where it is today.