Moho still lags on Mac unless started in low resolution mode

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Moho still lags on Mac unless started in low resolution mode

Post by JoelMayer »

Hey there

Just a heads up, this has been a problem for a while but Moho really slows down quite a bit when using on macOS with a higher resolution display. I have to start it in low resolution mode and it's snappy again (especially on the Timeline) but yeah, therefore i feel like i need new glasses all the time :D

Just thought i'd give a heads up. Hopefully this might be resolved in an upcoming version.

Thanks!
synthsin75

Re: Moho still lags on Mac unless started in low resolution mode

Post by synthsin75 »

I doubt that's enough info to fix your problem. Hopefully a beta tester has a similar setup as you do.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Can confirm. I have to work in low resolution mode on my 2018 (non M1) MacBook or the fps is terrible.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yeah, what Lukas said. Don‘t know about M1 but it‘s really laggy on my 2019 i9 Intel Macbook Pro. Was like that in 12 and 13 on an iMac as well so the problem is already known. Just thought it might have been fixed in 13.5 but i think the problem probably runs deeper.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

And weird enough: Moho runs just great in low res mode and even a LOT smoother than my desktop PC which has better specs than the Macbook.
kimandreasjohansson

Post by kimandreasjohansson »

Hey, thanks for bringing this up again. Have had the same problem for years too and I would be so happy for a final fix of this. Low res mode gives me a headache too.

I think I did send a support ticket about this to smith micro but nothing really happened. With the new awesome owners this might change!

It's a very strange problem. If I run the whole window on a second 1080p display it runs like butter. But if I undock only the timeline to put on the 5K display it starts to lag even if the canvas on the second display is low res. And it runs like butter in boot camp of course so it's likely a software issue with the Mac OS version.
Visual artist based in Sweden.

iMac 5K (2017) 3.4 ghz i5, radeon pro 570, 16 gb ram
MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

How high resolution are we talking about?

My mac with Big Sur and a Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB graphics card has no problems that I can tell.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Anything over 1080p. I have a Radeon and Big Sur as well. I have an external Monitor connected, maybe that's a reason, altho on my Cintiq that is just FullHD it seems to be fine.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Huh that's interesting.

Just tried different resolutions and i think it has to do with macOS scaling stuff.

My monitor is a native 4k one. If i go all the way up to 4k, Moho runs smoothly even in Hi-Res mode (as it does in 1080p). But for the 2k scaling option, it won't, unless i set the monitor scaling to "low resolution mode" (non-retina).

It even sais in the Monitor settings that everything other than either 1080p or 4k can affect performance but so far i've never experienced it with any other software.

So yeah, since 4k is far too small to display anything for my 34-year old eyes and macOS thankfully doesn't offer any UI scaling, your only option is to either choose a low resolution mode for your monitor or start Moho in low resolution mode ;)
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

Moho performance sky rocketed when I changed to Apple Silicon. No need for low res mode anymore
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Oh my… the lowres mode is gone in macOS Monterey (Apple – why?!?!). And performance on Intel sucks again.

Now I really can't use Moho anymore (there's no way to get playback zippy/accurate enough to do proper lip sync anymore), and no plans to buy a new M1 Mac in the next two years (mine is from 2019). Bummer.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Lukas

Post by Lukas »

arglborps wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:41 am Oh my… the lowres mode is gone in macOS Monterey (Apple – why?!?!). And performance on Intel sucks again.

Now I really can't use Moho anymore (there's no way to get playback zippy/accurate enough to do proper lip sync anymore), and no plans to buy a new M1 Mac in the next two years (mine is from 2019). Bummer.
Oh no, that’s really terrible 😑
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Aaah, well if I switch the resolution of my Mac to anything below 1080p it does playback smoothly in the viewport.

Yeah, that's exactly what I got a 16" retina laptop and a 4k monitor for. To run it in 1080p. Party like it's 1999!

When do we get options to lower the resolutions in the viewport, just like Apple Motion has had for decades? (or better: when will Moho performance be improved with proper GPU acceleration, so that we don't need to lower output resolution, just like Apple Motion has been doing for years, too).
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have no idea why people are early adopters of new OSs and software versions when they rely on them for work.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

So this may be a possible component for the issues people are having on macOS Monterey:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/17/ ... ey_memory/

Several applications that use a lot of custom mouse cursors are seeing considerable slowdown, including Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, Office, Pages, Firefox, and others. The theory presented in the article is that each time the mouse transitions to a custom image, the previous mouse image isn't being dumped properly from memory. Moho uses a ton of custom mouse images to cue the user to available scaling, rotation, and drawing options. It wouldn't surprise me if this were part of the issue.

Or I'm incorrect. That's a possibility as well.
- Dave

(As Your GM)