Is Moho ready for Apple Monterey OS (windows 11)?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toddwaddington

Is Moho ready for Apple Monterey OS (windows 11)?

Post by toddwaddington »

I never update Apple's OS until I know it's going to be compatible with my many 3rd party applications. Just curious to know the compatibility status with Moho and Monterey. https://www.apple.com/macos/monterey/

While we're at it, same query re: Windows 11 (I recently acquired a Windows laptop for work--been on Mac for 20 years, but find that there are still many things I can't do on a MAC, even though I prefer it).

PS, I'm sorry if this has already been asked. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I always scan the forum, do searches and didn't see anything about this.

Thanks for any input.

Todd
chucky

Re: Is Moho ready for Apple Monterey OS (windows 11)?

Post by chucky »

WIn 11 works just fine.
Windows is much better with compatibility, if there's a problem you just run in compatibility mode.
I've been able to run apps from the last century, just as if they were written today.
Actually I recently opened Moho 9 which worked perfectly even in win 11.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not using 11 yet but I've chatted with users who are using it and they're saying it's surprisingly compatible with a lot of their graphics programs. The reason I'm not using it is because the compatibility checker (PC Health Check) has found only my desktop computer compliant, and I don't want to upgrade that computer yet because I currently use it for work. I was prepared to upgrade my laptop but the checker is reporting that the CPU isn't Windows 11 compliant...even though this fairly 'high-end' laptop is only a couple of years old.

After a bit of research, apart for the info about adding the security chip and/or changing a bios setting, I'm reading that the checker may be overly strict about some of the hardware requirements by design, and if you're willing to take the risk, the upgrade can be installed manually on a 'non-compliant' computer anyway. I might do that eventually with my laptop but I'm not quite ready to do that yet.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddwaddington

Post by toddwaddington »

Thanks, Chucky

This is helpful. After years of badmouthing Windows (I was an Apple snob), I'm getting a glimpse into what Windows CAN do, which is often much more than a MAC can do. IE, I"m working with a Korg PA1000 synth right now. The Song Editor is only available for PC. The CAD software I use is only available for PC. Lots of stuff like that...
toddwaddington

Post by toddwaddington »

I'm sure it's a whole big deal, but would be nice if we had a thumbs up or star or whatever if a comment has been read and appreciated. Thanks
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

toddwaddington wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:34 pm This is helpful. After years of badmouthing Windows (I was an Apple snob), I'm getting a glimpse into what Windows CAN do...
I was an Apple/Mac snob from 1985 to around 2000. It was when I got into creating feature film VFX in the late '90s that I found I needed faster and more reliable 3D graphics and Apple was really dragging their feet about this (Anybody remember QuickDraw 3D? Ugh.) I was pretty much forced at the time to choose Windows if I was serious about working in the industry. For a few years, I switched back and forth between the two OS's, often on the same projects, leveraging the strengths of each, but eventually I stopped buying new Macs. I sometimes miss working on a Mac but, TBH, I've barely touched one in about 20 years. (I love my iPad though!) :)

These days, I don't have strong feelings about platforms so long as the available tools help me get the job done as efficiently as possible.
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

Erm, didn't this go off topic? Any comments on the original question would be nice rather than knowing that a korg app is windows only. Thanks.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Is anything ready for Monterey?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Toonboom and TVPaint both warn users to upgrade because they will not work.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
erikk

Post by erikk »

My new MacBook Pro arrived and I can’t run Moho on it. I’m getting a Fatal Error message with Monterey, I’ve removed Moho using an App cleaner program that found library files I missed, restarted, still not able to launch. So possibly Monterey simply doesn’t work. I’ve seen others asking if they should avoid updating, I seem to be the first to say “welp, not working for me.” But the machine came with Monterey installed, so here I am.
erikk

Post by erikk »

chucky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:23 am Is anything ready for Monterey?
Moho, so far, has been my only issue. The Affinity Software has been running like a dream for me, as his the Silhouette Studio software I’m using to make sliceform popup cards. Also no trouble with DaVinci Resolve or Clip Studio Paint. I’ve only had the new MacBook for 24 hours so I may be missing problems, but outside of Moho I’ve had pretty much no problems with the changeover. I may be back Monday a raging puddle of frustration. But I’ve had a very heavy-use day and all has been fast and efficient and doing what should happen.
ernesttxx

Post by ernesttxx »

Interesting @erikk. I got my new MacBook Pro two days ago and installed Moho 13.5.2 and have no issues running it.
My specs:
M1 Pro Max 32 Core GPU
64 GB RAM
OS - Monterey 12.0.1 (installed Moho on 12.0)
erikk

Post by erikk »

Mine was a drive transfer. I think the registration tracker is involved. I thought I’d cleaned everything out but obviously something still is blocking me.
erikk

Post by erikk »

Thanks to this board I found the hidden Smith Micro folder in a shared user library file (in the basement behind a file cabinet in a locked lavatory with a sign saying ‘beware of the leopard’) and the problem is solved. Only just started playing but so far all works as it should in Monterey.