Shape Points

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sjwilliams51

Shape Points

Post by Sjwilliams51 »

Hi everyone,

Hopefully this is an easy fix:
I have created some Smart Bones for my character's facial animations. Among these smart bones, I created a head turn for my character and wanted to go back in and make a couple changes, but now there are many points that I am unable to select in the shapes of the layers.
I have made sure that I am on the right layer and on the Point Select tool. I have also tried lasso-ing the points, but only a couple of the points are selectable.
I have tried restarting the program, restarting the PC, and reinstalling the software, but nothing has helped (although one time I restarted the program and IT WORKED PROPERLY!).

I am at a complete standstill with my project because I can no longer appropriately change anything in the smart bones like I need to.

EDIT: I was able to select the points, but the area I have to click is way offset- like 1-2 inches away from the actual point. When I select Bezier Curve Tool, the handles are offset as well.
There is something up with the coordinates.

Need help!

Thanx
synthsin75

Re: Shape Points

Post by synthsin75 »

Can you post a link to a file that shows the problem?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I've run into a similar issue before. Is the bone layer inside of a group that has layer transformations applied to it by any chance?
Sjwilliams51

Post by Sjwilliams51 »

alanthebox wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:53 am I've run into a similar issue before. Is the bone layer inside of a group that has layer transformations applied to it by any chance?
Alanthebox,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, in order to duplicate the head turn the other way, I flipped a few layer groups in my smart bone action, which didn’t seem very conventional - but it did the job.

I had a sneaking suspicion that had something to do with it.
If this is similar to the issue you had, how did you fix it?
Is it better just to try and do the other side of the head turn organically without flipping anything?

Thank you for the help!
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

It's been a couple months since I worked on the file that had this problem, so I don't remember exactly how I got there, but it sounds like it was probably similar to your file setup. I didn't actually end up fixing it, I just learned to select the points I needed by lasso-ing to the right of my object (luckily, I wasn't working on a character and only needed to select 5 points in total). At the time, I just made a mental note to try and plan my scenes out better, rather than creating smart bone actions on objects that are nested in groups that have animation/layer flips applied to them.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! I don't really ever do big head turn animations, so, I don't know what the best practices are.
Sjwilliams51

Post by Sjwilliams51 »

alanthebox wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm It's been a couple months since I worked on the file that had this problem, so I don't remember exactly how I got there, but it sounds like it was probably similar to your file setup. I didn't actually end up fixing it, I just learned to select the points I needed by lasso-ing to the right of my object (luckily, I wasn't working on a character and only needed to select 5 points in total). At the time, I just made a mental note to try and plan my scenes out better, rather than creating smart bone actions on objects that are nested in groups that have animation/layer flips applied to them.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! I don't really ever do big head turn animations, so, I don't know what the best practices are.
Yeah, I just decided to deal with it and just select those offset points since I’m almost done with my 360 head turn.

Thanks for chiming in on the issue.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If we had an example file to give to the devs, that would probably help them sort it out. If you don't want to share it publicly, PM me a link, and I'll report the issue once I figure out how to replicate it.